What should I replace on a split tractor?

/ What should I replace on a split tractor? #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
I split my 4400 last night to swap out the ring gear. The split wasn't to bad, 4hrs by myself. Now that I have it split, what should I be replacing because I'm there? I'm getting blow by so an engine over haul is in the future. I want to put that off as long as possible, until I get a barn or she blows up which ever come first.
This tractor has a single clutch & no pto. I never had any problems with the clutch. Should I just swap the ring gear and be done with it, what do you guys think? The ring isn't chamfered on the back side and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be. The drive gear on the starter is chamfered and has a lead on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 216
   / What should I replace on a split tractor? #2  
do just the ring gear for now and lube ( or change) the throw out bearing for the clutch ... clean up what you can .... don't go looking for trouble ...

note anything that is wearing , or obviously needs attention and plan to change out when you do the motor ( hopefully at a later date )

/ What should I replace on a split tractor?
do just the ring gear for now and lube ( or change) the throw out bearing for the clutch ... clean up what you can .... don't go looking for trouble ...

note anything that is wearing , or obviously needs attention and plan to change out when you do the motor ( hopefully at a later date )

That's what I'm starting to think too. I need this thing running ASAP. Do you know if I can turn the ring gear around and just use the other side? Some of the other teeth that aren't worn so much look to be squared off but its hard to tell.

/ What should I replace on a split tractor? #4  
Where is all that oil coming from?

/ What should I replace on a split tractor? #5  
That's what I'm starting to think too. I need this thing running ASAP. Do you know if I can turn the ring gear around and just use the other side? Some of the other teeth that aren't worn so much look to be squared off but its hard to tell.

If you are short on time...yeah, I'd flip it and go.

/ What should I replace on a split tractor?
Where is all that oil coming from?

It might be the trans seal or break cleaner. I had to get in there with some brake cleaner because I couldn't see the lines on the flywheel when I went to set the timing.

/ What should I replace on a split tractor? #7  
I would inspect the throw out cross shaft particularly at the pivots in the trans case. I have seen clutches fail because the grease dried solid, Causing the clutch not to release properly.

Check shaft rotates freely and if grease able nipples are clear and taking grease.

/ What should I replace on a split tractor? #8  
With the tranny cover off tilt the bellhousing down towards the ground with pan underneath, fill the trans above the input shaft gear. leave overnight, If you pan has oil in it you change the input shaft seal. once changed Repeat this process once the new seal is on if no oil than button it back up. Oil maybe also be from the rear main seal. You can spray the clutch with some brake or carb cleaner and hope for the best until you get it changed.

Kirk

/ What should I replace on a split tractor? #9  
i chan ge tranny input shaft seals any time split..

/ What should I replace on a split tractor? #10  
Since most engines stop at almost same point.
Instead flipping the ring gear just tap it off and clean then replace 1/4 rotation from on a marked point on flywheel . warm with torch and quickly slip on flywheel . then starter will have a new point to engage.
No problems with clutch still normal wear so I replace clutch plate just to make sure there will continue of no problems.
ken