What rod/amps to use?

/ What rod/amps to use? #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
Me again...

Tried some welding on those oak barrel steel hoops. Kept blowing holes in them with the 1/8" rods (6011 & 7014). I tried to turn the amps down but then had issues with arc strike.

I figured before I even started that the 1/8" rod was too big but gave it the old college try anyways.

What would be the best diameter of rod?

/ What rod/amps to use? #2  
I'd go with 1/16" rod.

/ What rod/amps to use? #3  
How thick is the steel? less than 1/8 of an inch? Try some 6013 1/16 inch at about 35-40 amps and dont sit still.. move .. This is where gas and TIG or a small MIG would be much better. DC stick will do a little better, then your AC machine. I have welded some 1/8 inch materiel with 3/32 7018 with good success, but that is a DC rod. Yep try the 6013. Not my favorite rod, but it has its place.

James K0UA

/ What rod/amps to use? #4  
Oh, and another trick on those 1/16 flimsy rods, is to cut them in half to be able to control them better, especially until you get more experience.. just peck off a little of the flux on one end for your stinger.

James K0UA

/ What rod/amps to use? #5  
I'd prefer 3/32 rod also but try laying your rod over about 60 degrees from vertical and dragging the rod at the speed you find that works for the temperature setting.

/ What rod/amps to use?
I'd prefer 3/32 rod also but try laying your rod over about 60 degrees from vertical and dragging the rod at the speed you find that works for the temperature setting.

Funny you mention laying the rod over. The only way I got a half decent weld with the 1/8 rod was when it was dragged while being layed over at a very shallow angle.

I'll try to find some smaller rods this week and try again.

I'm not after a really tiny/pretty weld. I want to make some metal art and the rough weld look is what I want to go with the rusty steel.

/ What rod/amps to use? #7  
I have good luck with the harbor freight 1/16 quick start rods for 1/8 in on 40 amps.

/ What rod/amps to use?
I guess that 1/16 rods wouldn't do me much good. My welder only goes down to 60 amps on the low end. Unless I go back to that little 120V / 70 amp stick welder that I borrowed to weld before.

I tried a 3/32 rod and it seems to be pretty good but would have to fine tune the amps as I got one hole.

What are the tricks to strike an arc at lower amps? It seems to still be a bit of a pain and either sticks or doesn't arc. High amps = easier arc strikes but then I get holes.

Anything I'm missing?

/ What rod/amps to use? #10  
Try some 3/32 6013 then, set your welder then to the 60 amps, and give it a try.. the 6013 will strike a little easier than 6011. Try leaning the rod over a little to strike instead of a pecking motion and scratch. Keep practicing.

James K0UA