what on earth does electricity cost near you?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #821  
Easy enough to calculate: 8760 hours in a year, times per KWh rate and usage.

But that's incremental cost (your next KWh of energy), and is way different than total bill divided by KWh used. That's due to base amounts at lower rates, and garbage fees that are not per KWh.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #822  
Let us talk garbage fees. I think I might have you all beat. I have supply fees and six rider fees. Then sales surcharges and local consumption taxes. Quite a racket.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #823  
I don't know that they are "garbage" fees. There is a lot involved in getting electricity to your house and a lot of it doesn't depend on how much electricity you use. After the cost of generation and transmission, there is the cost of maintaining the lines and transformers, metering and billing, customer service, etc. Although there are some discounts for high volume users, in reality large users subsidize low usage customers and urban customers subsidize rural users.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #824  
The 8% city tax is a big chunk...

The decommissioning fees, etc...

Everyone wants a carve out from utility bills...

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #825  
I don't know that they are "garbage" fees. There is a lot involved in getting electricity to your house and a lot of it doesn't depend on how much electricity you use. After the cost of generation and transmission, there is the cost of maintaining the lines and transformers, metering and billing, customer service, etc. Although there are some discounts for high volume users, in reality large users subsidize low usage customers and urban customers subsidize rural users.
I have those too.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #826  
17.6 cents per kilowatt-hour.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #827  
I would guess I posted years ago when this discussion started a decade previously. 😁

When we built the house, power was 8 cents per KWH almost 20 years ago. Now it is 15/16 cents per KWH. That includes all taxes and fees.

The rate goes from 16 to 15 cents the more power we use, I guess due to the taxes and fees. In the fall, when we were using little power, it was 16 cents per KWH, but the last few months have been 15 cents with the higher power usage.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #828  
Here in Chinada, the utilities are state-run, for the most part.

Garbage fees, fairy-tale fees.... whatever you want to call it, here, they are just compounding taxes.

A quote by Albert Einstein

Turns Out, you Can make Something out of Nothing.... at least, if you are the only game in town.

If 'It costs me more, therefore....." works, then vehicle fuel jumping 25% and people fuel jumping 50%+ means I should expect my employer to fork over the difference..... sounds good to me !

Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #829  
I wish we had a government run utility here! All the people I know who are on city run electric coops pay a fraction of what PG&E charges us. And they get better service too. Removing the profit motive makes stuff cost less, what a surprise.

Our last bill, all in, was 44 cents per KWh. The nearest city coop charges 17.5 for tier 1 and 25 cents for tier 2.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #830  
I wish we had a government run utility here! All the people I know who are on city run electric coops pay a fraction of what PG&E charges us. And they get better service too. Removing the profit motive makes stuff cost less, what a surprise.

Our last bill, all in, was 44 cents per KWh. The nearest city coop charges 17.5 for tier 1 and 25 cents for tier 2.
Are you talking about Santa Clara, Eric.? I lived there briefly, many years ago. San Jose wants to go city-owned as well.

Urban/suburban city-owned electric may be a better deal for local residents, but they don't have to deal with rural locations and transmission lines.