what on earth does electricity cost near you?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #781  
In my area of VT, with all fees factored in, .16 kwh
When In CT, I had solar and it was great. ROI was about 8 years. Plenty of sun. In VT, we resisted getting solar based on the availability of sun.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #782  
Currently $0.32 per kw😡
Imagine paying $7.68 if you left 1 100 watt bulb on 24 hours!!
Massachusetts has passed into law that new 2024 construction requires a 400 amp service with no propane appliances!!
As usual lawmakers are passing laws without thinking about implications. Where’s this power coming from??

90cummins
Force us all onto full Electric, while diminishing grid capacity and reliability...... while I rarely have a sense of humour re. Incompetence, there is more @ play....

Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #783  
Excellent article!

My Kilowatt/hour rate is based on the cost of replacing batteries at the end of there life.
So far the cost over twenty years has penned out to be around .023/Kwhour.
The replacement cost for batteries has continued to decline over the years.
I understand, and like, a wide-range of energy technologies.

Remote property build - my preference would be totally off-grid, with various power options.

What I'm against, is being EXCLUSIVELY forced down ONE path of Power. I'd be against this regardless of the other factors in play, but all one has to do is look @ Cali, to understand that is where the Grid is going to end up.... even if you are in love with electric, this vector should give one pause.

Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #784  
How bad was last week's power outage for you in the E. Bay, Curt?
4.5 days no power here, but we have a generator, a wood stove, gravity-fed water, and a gas stove.

Others not so fortunate. Thousands of urban and suburban residents out of power for days and they rarely have woodstoves or generators.

Squints - You sound like one of those self-reliant troublemakers we need to watch !

(y)

I was going to joke - I thought you could get arrested in Cali, just for talking about burning wood.... but I've learned to stop joking about things like these....

Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #785  
Clearly, prices are only going to continue to get worse.....

One (Megawatt) is the loneliest number, but hundreds of batteries are absurd

Rgds, D.
The author of the article seems to treat grid batteries as supersized "D" batteries that will be used once and discarded, which is not exactly realistic.

Here in California, grid scale batteries are competitive with gas/ solar/wind on delivered power, where they aren't completely competitive is baseline load supply, unless they have been charged by a variable power source (wind or solar) during an excess production event (sunny, cool day, or a high winds overnight. So we see lots of batteries going in at homes, businesses, and grid scale plants, the latter almost always include batteries on recent deployments.

Bottom line, I think the author is not very informed about grid scale power.

All the best,

Peter

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #786  
How bad was last week's power outage for you in the E. Bay, Curt?
4.5 days no power here, but we have a generator, a wood stove, gravity-fed water, and a gas stove.

Others not so fortunate. Thousands of urban and suburban residents out of power for days and they rarely have woodstoves or generators.
Didn’t go out for me but nearby out 27 hours.

My friend had just installed a Honda 7000W inverter or 6500?

He also has solar and battery… only knew there was an issue because generator RUNNING light on.

Trees toppling is the case often.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #787  
On a side note new solar installs are down roughly 80% with companies laying off workers.

The rate at which California Utilities were required to credit for excess generation severely cutback last April and this is the fallout.

More than a few say the much longer payback doesn’t work for them…

Existing still under old contract which I believe is 20 year term?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #788  
I was going to joke - I thought you could get arrested in Cali, just for talking about burning wood.... but I've learned to stop joking about things like these....
It's no joke if I posted online that I did some illegal burning. In the woodstove or outside burn piles. Even tho enforcement is all by complaint.

That said, I did 8 outside burn piles this winter so far, but I also paid the $200 tax to our local smoke-authority to do it legally.

This winter, with the rise in power company prices, my incremental cost is now 55c off-peak, and 60c peak. (winter rates lower than summer). Still using 11KWh/day.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #789  
Peter - you appear to be a fan of batteries - your call, but I don't see where you conclude he is uninformed.

He was talking about the Capital cost of putting capacity in place, with a relatively short lifespan. That is a realistic concern. The cost is non-trivial, even w/o considering the Charging Source and Availability factors.

Speaking of grid 411..... stick around to towards the end of this video - The Event, in the aptly named Surprise AZ. I tracked this one down for professional reasons..... I already knew the framework of what he covered - learned a few details, but the big gain for me was understanding the vapour-phase explosion risk - not that the fire and smoke exposure is trivial. To summarize, what went up @ that Surprise facility was just roughly equivalent to one Tesla battery - something like 1 rack out of 27..... all of those responders would have been killed outright, if more racks were involved.

I'd like to see resilient (and distributed) power integrated into the grid.... just not at the risk-level that is being ignored currently (pun-intended) with Li batteries..... and I want it decided upon exclusively by engineers, w/o outside interference.

Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #790  
Didn’t go out for me but nearby out 27 hours.

My friend had just installed a Honda 7000W inverter or 6500?
Wow, the land of a million regulations, still allows you to buy and run a fossil fuel powered generator.
How…very, nice of them…
I’m sure there’s plenty of regulations on how you can use it

Last edited: