What not to feed a woodchipper

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #51  
We have not had any measurable rain since very early June so burning is out of the question this time of year!

It's similar during most summers - burning may be OK in late November but by then it may be too wet?
Most of the time I don't burn until there is snow on the ground. The pile would be rain soaked also. But I have never had a pile I could not burn using diesel. I try to get diesel deep into the pile as possible. Once the diesel starts to burn it generates enough heat to get a good complete burn. You have to do a little chucking here and there but that's not a big deal.

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #52  
Even a working farm here doing a burn by the book causes massive response including arial support…

Blighted trees not allowed to leave the farm and must be incinerated… we have strict requirement for the burn piles and equipment at the ready once burn day declared…

Adjoining a 100,000 acre public park is the issue…
Not here and the local fire department just says use common sense. I now have a HUGE burn pile about 10 feet high but it's not rained here for about 2 weeks (measurable precip) so I'll wait to roast. Supposed to rain the next couple days and looks like rain right now.

Around here, we don't need anything but common sense, I guess out your way people don't exhibit that and around here people don't like government intervention anyway and candidly, neither do I.

After the coming rain event so long as it's a good soaker, I'll light it up and roast it

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #53  
Most of the time I don't burn until there is snow on the ground. The pile would be rain soaked also. But I have never had a pile I could not burn using diesel. I try to get diesel deep into the pile as possible. Once the diesel starts to burn it generates enough heat to get a good complete burn. You have to do a little chucking here and there but that's not a big deal.
About 2 months ago I roasted 3 moldy hay round bales but before I did, I soaked them down with drain oil really good (as in about 10 gallons). Burning moldy hay bales really stinks and they smoke a ton. These didn't smoke much because of the amount of drain oil I soaked them with. Well saturated. Took 2 days to reduce them. Burned HOT too. Like huge wicks on oil.

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #54  
About 2 months ago I roasted 3 moldy hay round bales but before I did, I soaked them down with drain oil really good (as in about 10 gallons). Burning moldy hay bales really stinks and they smoke a ton. These didn't smoke much because of the amount of drain oil I soaked them with. Well saturated. Took 2 days to reduce them. Burned HOT too. Like huge wicks on oil.
I'd a like to seen picts of that.

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #55  
Not here and the local fire department just says use common sense. I now have a HUGE burn pile about 10 feet high but it's not rained here for about 2 weeks (measurable precip) so I'll wait to roast. Supposed to rain the next couple days and looks like rain right now.

Around here, we don't need anything but common sense, I guess out your way people don't exhibit that and around here people don't like government intervention anyway and candidly, neither do I.

After the coming rain event so long as it's a good soaker, I'll light it up and roast it
People freak when smoke rises in the distance... as far as burn days also limited as 6 months no rain is quite possible...

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #56  
People freak when smoke rises in the distance... as far as burn days also limited as 6 months no rain is quite possible...
My roasts make little visible smoke to begin with and if it's gonna be a smoker, I do it after sunset. Again, around here it's all about common sense and discretion. Guess out your way, local governments feel their citizens haven't the maturity to use discretion.

Presently, I'm waiting for a rain event myself. Looks promising but no cigar this morning.

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #57  
It's always been my hands that take the most abuse in the thinning process. Just that momentary time when the butt contacts the chipper flywheel. Do this for six to eight hours a day - for a week or so. Sure puts a lot of wear on a new pair of Elk Skin Ropers from Aerostich.

Dragging the cut trees to a unified pile is hard on the knees and shins. Tripping, stumbling, falling - all part of the game.
At my age (72), all the above can result in a serious injury to me...

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #58  
My roasts make little visible smoke to begin with and if it's gonna be a smoker, I do it after sunset. Again, around here it's all about common sense and discretion. Guess out your way, local governments feel their citizens haven't the maturity to use discretion.

Presently, I'm waiting for a rain event myself. Looks promising but no cigar this morning.
We have to call the local Fire department for a "Burn Permit". Unless unusually dry it's granted. If you do not call for a burn permit and your fire is called in to the F.D. you get a $500 fine. They will make a run to check the fire. With a permit, they will call and check everything is under control.
We can only burn "natural material". No processed wood/building materials. Also, no burning after sunset. They worry that's when you will start throwing the old tires on. My brother was burning brush and his fire was still going strong at sunset. The F.D. came and put it out. He was mad, but no fine.

Back to chippers, I found grape vines quickly clogged mine.

Local WMCA Camp would get deliveries of chips for free from tree services. It had not gone through a chipper, but more than once they found worn out chainsaw chains in load of chips.

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #59  
We have to call the local Fire department for a "Burn Permit". Unless unusually dry it's granted.
I'm on the opposite end of the state and yes, that is required here to but never enforced and no one does. Common sense dictates what you can roast and what not. Tires are a good example. Nasty, stinky things. we do the local recycle deal every year here. Think they grind them up and mix them with asphalt for the roads that never get fixed)....lol

/ What not to feed a woodchipper #60  
5030 - Yeah, well at my age( 80 ) tripping, falling, stumbling, etc - doesn't do me much good either. I've never been seriously hurt - but it will sure get my attention.