what model John Deere will best fir my needs?

/ what model John Deere will best fir my needs? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I have not been keeping up with all the changes to the tractor industry so am looking for some help. I started looking for a new field tractor to replace my old 2wd Ford 7710-II that I sold. The new tractor will pull a 4 bottom semi mount plow, 12' disc, small square baler (new holland 575) and a discbine. Possibly run a 15' batwing as well as that is in my future plans. I want FWA and a cab but with as few electronics as necessary. Just a simple, reliable tractor. I stopped at the Case-IH dealer and looked at their 95 today but at the Deere dealer I didn't have time to chat ao just looked at a few tractors on the lot like the 5093E and 6430. I just don't know what model in Green paint is best suited for me currently.

/ what model John Deere will best fir my needs? #2  
The 6430 is going to have enough weight and wheelbase that it doesn't beat you up doing field work. My wife drove a 5083e before buying the 5065m, she just plain didn't like the E series. She didn't care for some of the control placements or the noisier cab of the E. The cab on the M series in made in the US, it's about the only thing made here, the engine is from Mexico, the front axle on a 2wd is made in India and the hydraulics are from Brazil. The M is assembled in Georgia but mainly from foreign components. I'm not sure if the 6430 is an all German tractor or not but that's where they're assembled. Better Germany than Turkey, CaseIH has been bought and sold so many times I can't keep up with it. I've nothing against CaseIH but the last time we looked seriously at CaseIH of the 5 tractors we looked at there was 4 different countries of origin.

/ what model John Deere will best fir my needs? #3  
Have you looked at any MF. The MF2660 would be a good choice.

/ what model John Deere will best fir my needs?
jlsmith said:
Have you looked at any MF. The MF2660 would be a good choice.

I do not have faith in my local MF dealer. They have gone downhill since the father passed away. Now they never have any new MF units there.

For this tractor it comes down to John Deere and Case-IH.

/ what model John Deere will best fir my needs? #5  
Have you considered Kubota? All tractors nowadays are manufactured overseas. Unless you are buying BIG! Orange is pretty too. And worth every penny.

/ what model John Deere will best fir my needs? #6  
The 6430 is going to have enough weight and wheelbase that it doesn't beat you up doing field work. My wife drove a 5083e before buying the 5065m, she just plain didn't like the E series. She didn't care for some of the control placements or the noisier cab of the E. The cab on the M series in made in the US, it's about the only thing made here, the engine is from Mexico, the front axle on a 2wd is made in India and the hydraulics are from Brazil. The M is assembled in Georgia but mainly from foreign components. I'm not sure if the 6430 is an all German tractor or not but that's where they're assembled. Better Germany than Turkey, CaseIH has been bought and sold so many times I can't keep up with it. I've nothing against CaseIH but the last time we looked seriously at CaseIH of the 5 tractors we looked at there was 4 different countries of origin.

The 5E limited and 5M share the same cab 2012 and up. The 5093 will do everything you want it to do and other then a decent climate controlled cab its very basic with very little electronics. The 6430 is a very nice tractor but its not cheap!

Have you considered Kubota? All tractors nowadays are manufactured overseas. Unless you are buying BIG! Orange is pretty too. And worth every penny.

I am not too impressed with my current Kubota as far as ride is concerned and have been told by others who have larger Kubotas and they have the same complaint. Since my main task is ground engagement work and I want the tractor to ride as smooth as possible I have ruled out Kubota in favor of tractors more geared to my requirements.

The 5E limited and 5M share the same cab 2012 and up. The 5093 will do everything you want it to do and other then a decent climate controlled cab its very basic with very little electronics. The 6430 is a very nice tractor but its not cheap!

I would love the 6430 but figure it would be considerably more money. I just wasn't sure what else John Deere has to offer since they recently changed their line up again. I would like to stay with 34" rubber on the rear and I don't think I can get that on the 5093E though. So hopefully I can get a little familar with what Deere has to offer before going to talk with them.

/ what model John Deere will best fir my needs? #9  
Personally I would wait and hope Deere goes away from EGR and goes with SCR for emissions. Some modes may not have EGR on them yet, but I thnk the 30 series do. I just don't think long term ERG engines will hold up, or what about looking used for a tractor? I know in the over the road engines all have had issues with engine life using the EGR tech.

Or others have already switched, Case IH and AGCO.

I love Deere and the emissions right now are a mess thanks to the EPA and CARB. You may just want to take that into account when looking at a tractor.

JasG said:
Personally I would wait and hope Deere goes away from EGR and goes with SCR for emissions. Some modes may not have EGR on them yet, but I thnk the 30 series do. I just don't think long term ERG engines will hold up, or what about looking used for a tractor? I know in the over the road engines all have had issues with engine life using the EGR tech.

Or others have already switched, Case IH and AGCO.

I love Deere and the emissions right now are a mess thanks to the EPA and CARB. You may just want to take that into account when looking at a tractor.

Thanks, I appreciate any and all input both positive and negative. It is why I'm asking on here.