What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge

/ What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge #1  

bigrich954rr

Bronze Member
Tractor
branson 4720h 6ft brush hog ,post hole digger, ripper, pallet forks,
I have a Branson 4720H and the fuel Guage stopped working right and the hour counter turns on but doesn't count. So what makes it count the hours

/ What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge #2  
The hour meter gets the signal for a single wire that comes out of the alternator and it will only count hours with the engine running.

I see on other threads the tractor was in a flood, so that could cause all sorts of weird electrical issues.

/ What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge #3  
The fuel gauge not working could very well be created by a bad ground. My fuel gauge only worked intermittently, so I checked the ground. The ground wire is attached to the fuel tank access port on on top of the tank. Mine "looked" OK, but I disconnected it, cleaned it and applied some dielectric grease, and now works fine 100% of the time. Let us know if this works.

/ What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge #4  
The fuel gauge not working could very well be created by a bad ground. My fuel gauge only worked intermittently, so I checked the ground. The ground wire is attached to the fuel tank access port on on top of the tank. Mine "looked" OK, but I disconnected it, cleaned it and applied some dielectric grease, and now works fine 100% of the time. Let us know if this works.
I'll have to try that when it warms up a bit. Mine has never worked correctly from day 1.

/ What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge
OK it was a ground issue rust and some cracks fixed the fuel Guage will know more when I fill the tank.

OK what about the hour meter how's that thing work

/ What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge #6  
The alternator has a single wire coming from the housing that sends a signal to the tachometer and to the hour meter.

The hour meter has it's own timer and will only start counting after it sees the signal coming from the alternator. Since it has it's own timer, it won't change how fast or slow it adds the hours contrary to the old mechanical hour meters.

Another thing you may try, is to wiggle the plugs behind the dashboard. Since it was a flood tractor, it may very well be corroded or have dirt or something.

Ugg what a pain the tach works fine. So it has To be the back of the hour gage or the hour counter.

DC and water eats wire AC and water doesn't eat wires but shocks the hell out of you

Thank you guys for all the help I love the tractor and hate to sell it but life happens.
This site has saved me many times

OK there 3 wires coming out the back of the alternator which one need to have 12 volts to make hour meter work ?

/ What makes the hour counter work on a 4720H and fuel Gauge #9  
I don't know the answer to your question, but you might try looking at the hour meter itself. I would think it uses 12v dc power (I could be wrong, but it would seem strange for it to run of un-rectified power). If so, supplying it power from any switched 12 source would work. As with other instrumentation components, the hour meter ground could be your problem as easily as the supply side, so check your ground. Improper intuition seems to always cause people to concentrate on the power supply side and to overlook and assume that the ground is good. My experience leads me to believe grounding problems are just as, if not more, frequent.

OK I was hoping to not have to dig into the dash