Dealer What Makes a Great Dealer

/ What Makes a Great Dealer #1  

PrairieNic

Tractor
MF
Hey everyone - I've made this account pretty much just to post this question.

I've been very fortunate in that I've had the ability to fulfill a lifelong dream of mine and open a tractor dealership of my own. My goal is to create the best experience possible for customers in every aspect. Although I have a good idea of what I would like from a dealer from my own experiences, I thought I would reach out here and try to get ideas from the community-at-large.

I'm going to keep everything about this anonymous because I'm not here to advertise. I won't say anything about my location or specific brands carried but we will be stocking a line of compact/sub compact/utility tractors, along with other equipment and implements to go with them.

Quick facts about us:
  • We have a large service shop that is on-par if not larger than any dealership of any color in the area.
  • Parts availability is important, so we have invested a lot to keep them locally in-stock.
  • We have a good selection of brand new tractors, as well as older "value" pieces from the 60s/70s/80s that we offer alongside shop inspections for discounted prices (think $3,000-10,000).
  • We have a "collectors" program where people with vintage equipment can register and get aftermarket parts and service for discounted prices on any make and model.

Basically, I'm asking - What can make a dealership great in your experience/opinion? What could we do to set ourselves apart from the crowd and go above and beyond for our customers?

Thanks everyone!

/ What Makes a Great Dealer #3  
Hey everyone - I've made this account pretty much just to post this question.

I've been very fortunate in that I've had the ability to fulfill a lifelong dream of mine and open a tractor dealership of my own. My goal is to create the best experience possible for customers in every aspect. Although I have a good idea of what I would like from a dealer from my own experiences, I thought I would reach out here and try to get ideas from the community-at-large.

I'm going to keep everything about this anonymous because I'm not here to advertise. I won't say anything about my location or specific brands carried but we will be stocking a line of compact/sub compact/utility tractors, along with other equipment and implements to go with them.

Quick facts about us:
  • We have a large service shop that is on-par if not larger than any dealership of any color in the area.
  • Parts availability is important, so we have invested a lot to keep them locally in-stock.
  • We have a good selection of brand new tractors, as well as older "value" pieces from the 60s/70s/80s that we offer alongside shop inspections for discounted prices (think $3,000-10,000).
  • We have a "collectors" program where people with vintage equipment can register and get aftermarket parts and service for discounted prices on any make and model.

Basically, I'm asking - What can make a dealership great in your experience/opinion? What could we do to set ourselves apart from the crowd and go above and beyond for our customers?

Thanks everyone!
Return emails and calls. Act like you actually want to sell something instead of behaving like you don't need anyone's business. This is the number one reason buyers get disgusted with dealers and move on to other brands.

/ What Makes a Great Dealer #4  
Return emails and calls. Act like you actually want to sell something instead of behaving like you don't need anyone's business. This is the number one reason buyers get disgusted with dealers and move on to other brands.
This!

I'm still waiting for a call from the Kubota dealer, 2 NH dealers and a Landini/Kioti dealer that said they would call from when I bought my tractor in 2017. 🙄 That's one of the main reasons I ended up with the Branson.

The Case/Branson dealer, not only came out of the counter to show me the tractor he had in stock, he also later that day called and came to my house to check out the two tractors I had for trade in and work out a good deal for both of us.

/ What Makes a Great Dealer #5  
1. Use something similar to AIDET, which we use in the hospital, when dealing with customers, especially in service: Acknowledge (by name if possible), Introduce yourself (especially on phone calls, so I don't have to ask who is this), Duration (how long is it going to take), Explanation (what are you going to do), and Thank You (let the customer know you appreciate their business).

2. Like was said, return emails and phone calls in a timely manner. Let the customer know how long it will take to return a call with a price. If there is a delay, call me and let me know that too.

3. Have coffee and bottled water available. If you are thirsty, you tend to not look as long.

4. If someone shows up it is OK to greet them and offer to show them around and answer questions. Sometimes I want to look at equipment and kick tires without a salesperson following me around. In that case, let me have your card and let me look on my own, but be available to answer my questions or offer up a brochure.

5. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Keep the place clean, especially the bathrooms, and have the staff be interested in helping the customer. Without customers. they don't have a job.

/ What Makes a Great Dealer #7  
Say what you mean , mean what you say . Good luck , Kevin .

/ What Makes a Great Dealer
This!

I'm still waiting for a call from the Kubota dealer, 2 NH dealers and a Landini/Kioti dealer that said they would call from when I bought my tractor in 2017. 🙄 That's one of the main reasons I ended up with the Branson.

The Case/Branson dealer, not only came out of the counter to show me the tractor he had in stock, he also later that day called and came to my house to check out the two tractors I had for trade in and work out a good deal for both of us.
I had a bad experience myself with this. We went to look at a new tractor (as a customer) and the dealer wouldn't show it to me because their 1 salesman wasn't in that day. Didn't call me back either. Texted me once after a couple of days and of course I ended up buying from somewhere else.

I will certainly make sure that we are easy to talk to and deal with.

/ What Makes a Great Dealer #9  

tradosaurus hit the nail on the head with that reply. (y)

/ What Makes a Great Dealer #10  
I had a bad experience myself with this. We went to look at a new tractor (as a customer) and the dealer wouldn't show it to me because their 1 salesman wasn't in that day. Didn't call me back either. Texted me once after a couple of days and of course I ended up buying from somewhere else.

I will certainly make sure that we are easy to talk to and deal with.
Definitely take some time to spend with costumers. Explaining stuff, letting them drive the tractors around, even different models of what they're looking for. Try to return calls and emails as much as possible, even though it can be hard at times.

I'll say right away, it does take some serious patience as some costumers can be really needy and demanding, others just like to be a pain in the rear end just for the sake of it and just like to waste other people's time.