What Make and Model?

/ What Make and Model? #1  

alexsbuddy

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3037 w/ LS LL3109 FEL Kodiak SD5 Mower, Speeco Model 65 PHD, Bush Hog BX-600 Box Blade, Titan 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork/Hay Spear Combo
Can anyone identify what make and model this lawn tractor is? It has a 17 hp Vanguard engine, a 42 " deck, and is labeled as a Limited Edition. There is no ID plate or sticker on it. At first glance I thought it might be a Craftsman built by MTD. Any help would be appreciated.

Unknown Tractor.jpg

Last edited:
   / What Make and Model? #2  
Of course lacking a picture one can only guess. I believe MTD was bought out by American Yard Products. They seem to make lawn tractors for "everybody". Even knowing the original tractor color would help narrow possibilities.

/ What Make and Model? #3  
A picture would have been useful, but I suspect it's a Craftsman Lawn tractor. The 17 HP Vanguard made by Briggs & Stratton was issued in a limited edition red engine only for craftsman, with hydrostatic transmission, color should be mostly black frame and with engine cover and fenders also black in color. Turf tires front and rear. This model sold out quickly due to the high HP rating.

/ What Make and Model?
Unknown Tractor.jpg

Trying to attach a picture.

/ What Make and Model?
Yes....the engine is red and it is a hydrostatic transmission with a variable speed forward/reverse lever to the right side of the seat. Any idea of when it was made?

Last edited:
   / What Make and Model? #6  
The exact manufacture year is very hard to tell, as unlike other lawn and garden manufacturers, Craftsmen did not put an information plate on these machines. My best estimate, is made in year 2005 by AYP, and even though it was black, was a big seller due to "Limited Edition" branding.

I was never a fan of Briggs & Stratton engines, having had so many problems with their engines and so eventually I moved away from the Craftsman lineup. I will say the B&S engines were easy to rebuild, and I often purchased two rebuild kits at the same time.

Last edited:
   / What Make and Model?
Turns out it is a 2000 Ranch King Limited Edition made by MTD for Quality Farm & Fleet. Model number is probably 13AN698G205.