What Lowes free delivery cost me.

/ What Lowes free delivery cost me. #51  
Sheesh, we have town roads that aren't that wide.

Wait until I tell you that I have never had a pot hole.

I live by the rule of...good roads have good ditches. Mine are at least 6 feet below the road surface.

/ What Lowes free delivery cost me. #53  
We got a new set of Washer/Dryer from a big box store. This was to be delivered and installed. After watching them fumble around with the boxes, and them not having the right pigtail..... which was part of the order, not having the right tools, and not having the order in place on the loading, I didn't let them in the house. "Just drop the boxes here." These were second party contractors. And I don't even think they were bonded.

/ What Lowes free delivery cost me. #54  
In my case they would have left it in the driveway. Porch door was the narrower of the 2.

Substitute power lines and you're describing a situation I constantly ran into at a place I worked at a few years ago. Commercial operation at the end of a residential dead-end street (business was there first). Power/phone/cable lines were kind of low and criss-crossed the street a couple times. We always requested deliveries be made via box truck, sometimes we got an 18 wheeler anyway. The better drivers realized the situation beforehand, others not until it was too late.
Technically the wires are supposed to be 13’6 or higher over the roadway. Yet as the business owner or employee, you are the one who is going to be in the hot seat, no matter who is remiss.

/ What Lowes free delivery cost me. #55  
See I think a driveway should be idiot proof. It should be wide enough to accept delivery trucks and get them back out in a manner that dosen't mess everything up.

There should be no anxiety to having a delivery...Any idiot can manage my driveway.

View attachment 783780

I just watched “idiot drivers” on YouTube. I can see them hitting those trees.

/ What Lowes free delivery cost me. #56  
I was gonna comment on the rural driveway specs in NFPA1144; but, never mind; some other time when I can provide specifics.

/ What Lowes free delivery cost me. #58  
Waiting for that. Jon
OK, I'm just a rusty-uncurrent, school-trained ICC building inspector, and the regs have changed since I was active/current.

Here's my .02 on driveways; delivery access problems are similar in nature to FD access problems.

I see a whole lot of rural homes that do not meet the standards for fire department access; the older or myopic-designs of rural homes may be intentional, through ignorance, or simply neglect.

NFPA 1144 (1140) is designed for protection of homes in wooded areas, but all of the access requirements are the same no matter where homes are located...FDs need access to do their jobs; 8'-10' clear space around the home, turn outs every 200? feet, minimum heights (16'), widths(12' I recall), cleared driveways, radius of curve, % of slope, spaced out buildings, cut backs of trees & shrubs, etc.

16' high fir limbs in the summer are 6' high with snow or ice.

The specs also inlude fire-resistive construction like double pane windows, T111 siding, blocking, etc.

Not aimed at the OP or anyone else, but driveways that can prevent a fire truck from reaching the home, will probably prevent a 30' box truck from doing the same.

The info is free & public; the pic is a sample.

PS, there are grants to help home-owners prepare, and insurance companies are watching from above.

I pray this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230214-204522.png
    Screenshot_20230214-204522.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
   / What Lowes free delivery cost me. #60  
Around here private driveways are better than the county roads they connect to. Paved driveways connect to half paved, half dirt roads with chuckholes that just keep getting bigger. Makes me wonder where my taxes go, I guess for new roads in town.