What landscaping attachments do I need?

/ What landscaping attachments do I need? #1  

ragkar

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off
I'm within days of buying a JD 2320 with a loader and BH. I've been stalling because of the local tractor fair in my area that promises to be informative.
Lately I've been wondering if a loader and BH is tools enough for my purposes. I've got about an acre that's been cleared of trees but with a dozen stumps and many, too many, rocks and small mostly buried small boulders remaining. I'd like to get them out of there and level the field before tilling (separate smaller machine) and grass seeding.
Would I need a front blade or is a loader with toothbar enough to level the field and dig out mid-size (two heads size) boulders? Why are extra hydraulics needed for a front blade?
What are the advantages of a box blade?
Is a landscape rake a finishing tool or can it be used as a light duty tiller to get the smaller rocks out. I have a layer of small twigs that were layed down by a tornado. I was planning to use a handrake, but would a landscape rake do the job easier and faster?

/ What landscaping attachments do I need? #2  
Based on your description a FEL and BH would do what you need. A blade may help level the soil but once you get familiar with the FEL it works pretty good as well.

/ What landscaping attachments do I need? #3  
After you dig and remove the stumps and rocks bigger than, say, a bowling ball, get yourself a boxblade and a rake.
The boxblade basically tears/cuts into the ground behind you, filling itself as you go. Its main use is knocking down high spots and filling in low spots, but I've used mine to completely re-pitch my yard. The key is to not take deep cuts -- start with shallow cuts until you develop a feel for it. You'll also have to experiment with tilting the box and setting the tooth depth. It can be used running the tractor forewards and backwards, but be careful going backwards as you could damage the 3pt. arms if you try to push too big a pile or hit something solid. I think it's one of the most useful tools you can own. It's also good for resurfacing/maintaining stone and dirt roads. Once the soil is loose, the rake will also move a fair amount of material, and can be used for final grooming and removal of debris.
I prefer heavy attachments, as they work better and last longer. With the rocks you describe, I'd spend more instead of less so you decrease the chances of breakage (it does happen...). You can always sell the stuff once your done, if you want to.

/ What landscaping attachments do I need? #4  
I couldn't see where you from based on your profile. A landscape rake sounds like it would be a great tool for you. Also, get a set of rear remotes and a hydraulic top link if you don't mind spending the $. It will definitely help you sift some of the rock out. If you live close to me, get a Harley rake, and then I'll personally show you how to use it on my lot :) They're very expensive to buy and even rent but they make perfect seed beds. They widrow a lot of small to medium sized rock and debris.

/ What landscaping attachments do I need? #5  
ragkar:

Welcome to TBN :D! It will take some time to dig out your stumps with your anticipated 2320 BH. You will need a toothbar on your FEL for the rocks. With practice you can backdrag your FEL to level your work area but the toothbar will leave impressions unless you tilt the bucket during backdragging. The boxblade is a good attachment for the lateral movement and leveling of dirt and with the scarifiers down will pll up rocks and other debris. The landscape rake will take care of smaller rocks, leveling a wider area per pass (once the area is prepped) than the BB or FEL, and if angled can create a rock windrow that can be more easily managed. The front blade requires extra hydraulics so you can adjust the blade angle (up-down/right-left). The dual hydraulics came in handy for me when on occasion I needed to push myself out/off of an obstruction with my old tractor. Jay

/ What landscaping attachments do I need? #6  
I'm doing the same sort of work with a similar sized TLB. In addition to your FEL and BH, a landscape rake would be very useful. If you need to move lots of dirt to level things out a boxblade is the tool of choice but to smooth out the holes from destumping and especially to get the medium sized rocks and other debris a landscape rake is great.