What kind of potatoes do you grow?

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Everybody has their own preferences. Yukon Gold is too starchy for me, and russets are just OK. For a staple crop I like Kennebecs or Katahdins.
I also plant a smaller crop of Red Norlands.
(can you tell that I'm from Maine? :D)

By the end of winter I have about 10 lbs of small 'taters which I plant as soon as I can get on the ground, for an early crop. I then buy seed potatoes so that I'm starting fresh every year, and put these in the ground around the end of June. That way I harvest in September, and they keep well into the winter. It also reduced the chance of potato beetles, although that didn't work out so well for me last year.
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #2  
I don't grow many potatoes any longer, they almost give them away here!

BUT, I do put in a few Yukon Golds, cuz we really like them.

SR

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #3  
I’ve settled on all Kennebecs the past few years. For beetles, try Colorado Potato Beetle Beater by Bonide. It’s safe, easy to apply, and completely eliminates them.

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #4  
Yukon Gold and Norland this year. Tried some of the purple taters, too small.
And I second the use of Bonide beetle spray.

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #5  
Last year was Red Norland and Kennebec. This year will be my favorites, Katahdin. The one time that I tried Yukon Gold I wasn’t happy with the yield.

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #6  
Red Norland the last three years. Hoping to get taters in the ground soon but still kind of wet around here.

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #7  
I used to plant mine early, but had too many cold wet seasons that slowed growth. Then I started planting later to try to avoid the beetles but they eventually changed timing and caused severe damage anyway. I still plant around June 1, but now I don't have any beetle issues due to using the Bonide spray I mentioned above.

Last edited:
   / What kind of potatoes do you grow? #8  
Haven't grown any for several years, but here in this part of Oklahoma I always had the best luck with red potatoes. I always rolled them in powdered sulfur when the cuts were still wet; seemed to make the soil a bit more acid and keeps bugs away.

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #9  
Neighbours had German Butterball variety. I got in on a new order with them a few years ago. Funny, they tasted better on their dinner table than mine. Any yellow like Yukon Gold will do for me. Harldy worth the bother except for self sufficiency.

/ What kind of potatoes do you grow? #10  
Neighbours had German Butterball variety. I got in on a new order with them a few years ago. Funny, they tasted better on their dinner table than mine. Any yellow like Yukon Gold will do for me. Harldy worth the bother except for self sufficiency.

I didn't like Yukon Gold because they didn't store long for me. I did like German Butterball better overall and they stored better too, but they are a smaller potato so I stopped planting them. A couple years ago I had Kennebecs and Katahdin, which both store really well. My Kennebecs that year were the largest potatoes I've ever grown. I was excited to have bushels of monster spuds, but they were too big for many uses. A medium to large potato ends up being the best size, but those monster potatoes look good in pictures. :)