What kind of bird house/nest is this?

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
I see these often on older ranches so they must be helpful. I'm embarrassed to say, I don't know what they are called so Google won't be of much help :laughing:

I have seed balls and a traditional bird feeder and bird baths, and in 2.5 years, I've built quite a following here.

1-911112431.jpeg

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #2  
I've been told hummingbird but don't know if that is accurate.

Google says purple martins.

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #3  
Purple Martins. People put up all sorts of houses for them including multi-level apartment/condo stacks. Apparently the birds are good at bug control.

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #4  
Purple Martins. People put up all sorts of houses for them including multi-level apartment/condo stacks. Apparently the birds are good at bug control.

I've seen the multi-level ones called marlin houses. Part of why I didn't think these were.

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this?
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into this

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #7  
Aermotor.

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #8  
I recently read an article that said purple martins mainly eat butterflies. And I have to say, watching them and other swallows, the feed way high in the sky and during the heat of day -- not down low in the evenings when mosquitoes are about. But to answer your question, looks like gourds used for martins.

By the way, if you want martins, they are pretty picky birds. You have to wash out the nesting houses each year and wait till after Mothers Day to set them out -- otherwise sparrows and such will nest in them and the martins won't get close. Also need to be 100' from any building and within 100' of water. Good news is, once you get some, they will always come back.

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #9  
I gotta admit - I've never seen so many gourds. I'm sure the idea is nests for some form of swallow. There are barn swallows, Purple Martins, cliff swallows, etc, etc. Somebody is hoping for the max in mosquito elimination.

/ What kind of bird house/nest is this? #10  
My parents grow those gourds for bird boxes. The birds that uses them depends on the area and the size of the hole you drill. If I drill a 1.125" hole, wrens will use the boxes. Larger holes and chickadees and bluebirds will use them. Purple Martins tend to be over by the lake and river.