What is you best food plot crop?

/ What is you best food plot crop? #11  
For deer Ladino clover is the best that I have ever planted.

/ What is you best food plot crop?
I just had a thought about what is really my best food "plot"...went for a walk in the forest behind my house yesterday and cleared some lanes for bow season...found some acorns. We had a failed mast crop last year, so this was good news, and hopefully will be my best food plot.

/ What is you best food plot crop? #13  
Two weeks mowed down the summer plant and planted brassicas. They are already overtaking the weeds and remaining clover and fescue. Looks like they will be a new winner.

/ What is you best food plot crop?
As soon as we get a little rain, and moisture in the dirt, I plan to plant the same. My son also gave me a bag of food plot seed that included something I've never planted before - burnet, 64% - plus some clovers, chicory, and wheat for the other 36%. Looking forward to how the burnet does.

Ever grown burnet?

/ What is you best food plot crop? #15  
Just got my plot planted 2 days ago, don't know why I bothered, been so dry. Most here use oats, or include them in a mix. Oats will always attract deer. I mix in some wheat, JIC we get a cold enough winter to kill off the oats.

This year I used a pre-mix from a local seed supplier. ( I have found and there is supporting evidence that locally/regionally grown seed will do much better)

In the mix was Oats, Wheat, brassica, clay/cow peas, turnips. I added 10lbs of a 5 seed clover mix as a top dressing, clover usually doesnt do well in N central Texas, but it was only a #32 gamble :D

/ What is you best food plot crop? #16  
I just planted a similar mix two days ago. Rain was in the forecast, so I was in a rush to get it done and take advantage of the weather. I've never had much luck with food plots, the best I've ever seen is that they will nibble on it while walking to the corn feeder. It's enough that if I saw a shooter, it might give me a bit more time for a shot, but otherwise it's just something I seem to do every year because I live hear and couldn't live with myself if I didn't do it.

Eddie

/ What is you best food plot crop? #17  
Eddie, I have seen your post over the years concerning your FP's, why they don't utilize it more, makes no sense. I wonder what the culprit is? I know hogs can cause deer to avoid an area (you do have a few them running around there). I can mow the road frontage and deer will go to the new growth, they will spend many hours in my FP when it is in production. EDIT I only have 15+ acres now, much less than your 60? Something just doesn't add up with your plot? wonder what your rral deer density is, that is good deer country your in though, more for big deer rather than quantity.

/ What is you best food plot crop? #18  
Right now the deer are hitting the soybeans hard and have been all summer. And in a few week they will start hitting the buck oats and rape. Then they will start on the corn in late October. Corn is a big deal during the rut, but also cost the most and take the most work. IMHO.

So the best one depends on what time of year it is.

Oats-and-Rape.jpg
Beans-and-cranes.jpg

Some trail camera pictures.

/ What is you best food plot crop? #19  
Soybeans are the ticket around here. The deer - and the turkeys, coons, and groundhogs - love it ... to the point that they leveled my three plots totaling five to six acres.

/ What is you best food plot crop? #20  
I plant about ten acres a year of food plots.Corn and soybean ,corn and soybean mixed and this year sunflowers....Tried a late planting of brassicas and it is doing very well.