What is this on power poles?

/ What is this on power poles? #31  
Interesting to see several members working in the electrical power field. I'm a porcelain insulator engineer. Most of our products are for 245kV and above. The 765 kV insulators are 185 inches tall!
"Porcelain" is one of the words that male me think I might have a touch of dyslexia. Unless I concentrate on the individual letters, I tend to think it's "proclean".

/ What is this on power poles? #32  
Yup. Pricey, but in certain circumstances worth it in my opinion. Concrete and metal poles have their niches, too.

What types of customers do you sell the most to?

All the best, Peter
Our Firestrong poles were a big gig. They are fire resistant with an added fire resistant sleeve on them also. Utility poles, light poles, piles for marine applications, cell antenna poles, etc. We supply for several big name utility companies.

Most fiberglass reinforced composites are high priced compared to traditional materials but it definitely has advantages in a lot of applications.

/ What is this on power poles? #33  
All the replies about the wrap keeping critters off the power pole, may or may not, be true...

It is possible that the real, untold story is that the wrap is a marker for pallets to be put in a field. :unsure:😁

I have not seen wrapped power poles and thus no pallets in a field. 😁

/ What is this on power poles? #34  
Out here in the desert, we have a similar wrap, but it is put at ground level. The high wind and blowing sand slowly eats away the pole unless protected.

/ What is this on power poles? #35  
Our Firestrong poles were a big gig. They are fire resistant with an added fire resistant sleeve on them also. Utility poles, light poles, piles for marine applications, cell antenna poles, etc. We supply for several big name utility companies.

Most fiberglass reinforced composites are high priced compared to traditional materials but it definitely has advantages in a lot of applications.
After a recent fire here, the power company came back to replace the damaged poles. I don't know how big the crew was back in the fire hit area, but our valley was the pickup point for the poles to be flown back by helicopters. Eight hours of a helicopter pole lift every 30-45 seconds. It was amazing to watch the choreography, and the pre-planning that went into having the poles laid out to accommodate multiple choppers in the area at the same time. 500-1,000 poles, plus helicopter and crew costs...a fire resistant pole might have save them some significant cash.

I am a sucker for watching precision flying by helicopters, whether it is dropping crew off on high tension lines or poles, or HVAC placement on buildings.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / What is this on power poles? #36  
I made a point to look at the poles on our electric easement this weekend. The pole nearest the road had the wrap, but the others did not. Not sure why, just an observation.

/ What is this on power poles? #37