Toplink What is this black metal thing for?

/ What is this black metal thing for? #1  

scottyboy

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 240
Hey everyone,

I bought a top link for my MF 240 from AgriSupply (online) and with it came two of these things (pictured). My top link does not have a hole in the centre of the tube for jamming a lever in rather it has a square peg with about 1/2" sticking out of each side of the top link tube. I figured these black things were somehow intended to be used to grip the square peg to enable easier turning for length adjustment, but it does not fit or mesh with the top link nor the other black thing.

IMG_1590.jpgIMG_1590.jpg

/ What is this black metal thing for? #2  
Hey everyone,

I bought a top link for my MF 240 from AgriSupply (online) and with it came two of these things (pictured). My top link does not have a hole in the centre of the tube for jamming a lever in rather it has a square peg with about 1/2" sticking out of each side of the top link tube. I figured these black things were somehow intended to be used to grip the square peg to enable easier turning for length adjustment, but it does not fit or mesh with the top link nor the other black thing.

View attachment 381663View attachment 381663

AgriSupply has a toll free number. Call and ask them what they are for, then post back and let us know. You have peaked my curiosity meter.

/ What is this black metal thing for? #3  
Hey everyone,

View attachment 381663View attachment 381663

What does the other black thing look like? You posted the one photo twice.. I tend to agree with you it is some type of spanner wrench, but I haven't seen anything quite like it.

/ What is this black metal thing for? #5  
Was it like taped to it?

/ What is this black metal thing for? #6  
They clamp spring tines to a harrow or ring conditioner frame rail. They have nothing to do with a top link for a 3 pt. hitch
Beat me to it. Terry

image-1784617874.jpg

Grabbed these out of the parts room to give you a visual.

/ What is this black metal thing for?
What does the other black thing look like? You posted the one photo twice.. I tend to agree with you it is some type of spanner wrench, but I haven't seen anything quite like it.

@Heywood - thanks for the positive id of this. They were just in the box with the other parts I bought. So question is how do I apply a torquing force to my toplink to make a length adjustment?

My apologies for posting twice - that was an oops. Both parts were identical. Interestingly both parts were stamped made in Italy too.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this!

/ What is this black metal thing for? #10  
Thanks everyone for helping me with this!

Did you figure out how to turn your toplink tube yet?.. If it just has little nub's perhaps you could take a piece of steel tubing about 8 or 10 inches long that would just fit over the nub and allow you to turn the toplink center section. Do you have a picture of the toplink? Mine has a captive steel rod used to twist the center section.