What is this, and what do I do about it?

/ What is this, and what do I do about it? #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
I've noticed some areas on the bark of several trees on our property. Only on oaks and one hickory that I've seen so far.

Any ideas? I noticed some areas like this last year, but seems more prevalent this year... :(

Attachments

• 100_1676.jpg
    100_1676.jpg
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_1687.jpg
    100_1687.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_1689.jpg
    100_1689.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 176
   / What is this, and what do I do about it?
Another pic....

Attachments

• 100_1693.jpg
    100_1693.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 234
   / What is this, and what do I do about it? #3  
I'm tempted to ask if you noticed the problem after working in the area with your tractor and FEL;), but I'm sure it's not that simple.:rolleyes: I've lost several postoak trees and they almost always show signs of stress by shedding bark. Some survive and some die. Has it been a very wet or very dry year in your area? Oaks are pretty sensitive to moisture changes, especially big ones.

/ What is this, and what do I do about it? #4  
All of the pictures look like something hit the tree and damaged the bark. The bark in the first two pictures has begun to form a scab and will eventually cover the damaged area.

Sometimes in northern states trees will take up moisture on a warm January of February day "thinking" its spring and when the weather gets cold at night the moisture freezes and splits the bark, but those splits are long and are usually found on the north side of the tree.

Your examples all look like something made contact with the bark with enough force to cause damage to it.

/ What is this, and what do I do about it? #5  
Is it on the south side of the tree and did you have an unusual winter with quick freeze thaw conditions?

I'm tempted to ask if you noticed the problem after working in the area with your tractor and FEL;), but I'm sure it's not that simple.:rolleyes: I've lost several postoak trees and they almost always show signs of stress by shedding bark. Some survive and some die. Has it been a very wet or very dry year in your area? Oaks are pretty sensitive to moisture changes, especially big ones.

I appreciate the diplomatic way you phrased that. ;) While there has been another incident with the new FEL which shall go unnamed at this time :eek: , the trees aren't directly suffering from my tractor skills.

More to follow....

/ What is this, and what do I do about it? #8  
Sorry, I can't tell you what is wrong with the tree. BUT - I had a very nice one recently that did exactly the same thing. After babying it for 3 years, including sealing the wounds, fertilizing, etc. it still didn't make it. I did find some carpenter ants in that area but I'm not sure that they killed the tree.
Unfortunately, I had built a very nice deck surrounding the tree. The tree originally made a nice centerpiece though.
My advice is to seal the wounds if you want to try to keep the trees, but I don't know much else to do for it other than give it water if needed. Thanks for posting this problem; I'll be watching this thread to learn...

Jim

/ What is this, and what do I do about it? #9  
I hate to contridict Gem99, but research has shown the sealing up wounds in trees is the wrong thing to do. You need to leave it exposed , carefully trim away loose bark, keep the tree fertilized and hydrated, and hope for the best.

To correct my previous post, sun split damage occurs on the "south" side of the tree.

OK. A little more background. I first noticed a few spots like these about three years ago, come to think of it. Just here and there on a couple of trees. I thought maybe they had been tapped by the dozer when we had our house built about that time.

No doubt, the trees were stressed by the construction/changing the grade of the land around them. I've heard oaks are not happy when you mess with the grade around them (which, come to think about it, I'd imagine that applies to most trees). Then we had two years of moderate drought, followed by the worst ice storm in Kentucky's recorded history this past winter. I'd say that this spring and summer have been wetter than normal.

As far as where these spots are located on the trees, I'd say most are from three to six feet off the ground. And, I'd say most probably are on the southern face of the trees.

On one tree (the third picture in first post), I saw some black discoloration next to where the bark is fraying. Kind of looks like mold/mildew/fungus. Did not really notice much of that on the other trees, though.