What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help!

/ What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help! #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
It came off nice and easy today. I needed to sharpen the blades. Now I'm trying to get it back on. And I have been doing the same thing for about the past 4 hours. I just can't figure out the correct process in which you attach the different arms, the belt gets so tight I can't move the deck back far enough, etc. I'm extremely frustrated and would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

I'm always stuck with one that I can't get back on to the pin.

Too late to save my temper, already threw a hammer through a box fan :mad::mad::mad:. I just want to get it done tonight so I can mow. Thought this would be a 1 our ordeal. I've got to be doing somethign wrong.

/ What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help! #2  
LOL I'm sorry. Well lets start with assuming you have a 38" deck. Push the little lever for the height of cut all the way down.Pull the draft arms up by pulling the lever back toward the seat. Side the deck under and lower the draft arms down and lock the lift lever forward by pushing the button and moving the lever forward and while holding the lever all the way forward let go of the button. This should hold the draft arms down and now take the "J" pins and lock them into the holes. Next is the front bail. That is the big "u" bolt sort of anyway take that and hook it into the front of the deck. then take it and put in the slot on the front of the frame and swing it up into place. Pull out on the long handle so it just misses the frame and then lock into the hole for it on the frame. Last but not least install the belt from the enine to the mower deck. Take the long lever on the left side and swing it back towards the rear of the machine. Put the belt on the engine pulley and also make sure the belt stays on the rear pulley on the deck. Swing the lever back into place and viola your done. Hope that helps.

/ What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help!
shot_gun, thanks very much for your assistance. I now the the entire deck attached back to the JD, but I cannot get the belt back on to the engine pulley.

When you say "Take the long lever on the left side and swing it back towards the rear of the machine. Put the belt on the engine pulley and also make sure the belt stays on the rear pulley on the deck. Swing the lever back into place and viola your done.", I assume you mean large lever ont he left side used for holding the deck up in place/lowering it when you want to mow?

I have the lever all the way up and besides using an extreme amount of force I cannot figure out how to get the belt back on to the front pulley.

I noticed that there is a small lever that has a spring attached to it on the rear of the deck next to the discharge chute. I have it "released" right now, but it doesn't seem to be helping anything. Any idea what its purpose is?

I greatly appreciate your help!

Dennis

/ What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help! #4  
DFO, if that lever is what I think it is, you should pull (or push) it against the spring. This should move one of the idler pulleys allowing you to slip the belt over then engine pulley. Had the deck off my X304 the other day. Pulled the lever on the deck & had plenty of slack to slip the belt on.

/ What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help! #5  
Dennis, sorry about that. It's the small lever on the deck on the discharge side. I had a brain fart( I was thinking you had the long silver lever on the left side of the deck not so on yours). Your lift lever isn't it. The small lever should swing over center with a spring attached. Once it is swung out it should allow the rear double pulley to swing a little forward so you can get the belt on. If it doesn't move forward it may be rusted into place. You may need a small prying device to pry on the arm(not the pulley) to make it go forward.

/ What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help!
I really appreciate everyones help here. I got everything back together today, and with the sharpened blades it mows like a champ.

Thanks again!

/ What is the proper procedure to put the deck back on a JD 175? Please help! #7  
You might be able to get the manual for this tractor at the JD website.