What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft?

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
We are looking to build a house this year, and have been working with an architect. We told him our 'goals' and the things we would like included, knowing that we would likely have to adjust everything towards the end.

Our goal was to have a house around 2500sqft, with a Master on main, 2 smaller additional bedrooms (for company not real daily living), an office, and a really good space (loggia/porch) off the back from which to enjoy the view of our property. We are 50yo, so I don't need a lot of 'children space' but wanted it comfortable when grandkids eventually hit the scene. My goal was nice finishes in the home and my budget was to keep it at or below $600K. In my mind, this was completely reasonable and more than what I'd actually like to pay, but I still thought that would far and away get me 'this house' with very good finishes.

The architect came back with 3500sqft great design, with a price of $1M. He said based upon our desired finishes, it would be roughly $300sqft.

Now, I know things are expensive... and I know I can do this much cheaper, going 'cheaper'. But... I really don't see where this $300sqft comes into play. Even if I bumped my budget to $750K, which is far more than I am willing to do, just to get the 'plan', the nature of paying $250K for enhanced finishes, floors me.

I'd like to hear from anyone with experience... builders, etc. I'm back on my heels a bit, after Monday's meeting. When I pushed back and told him I wanted 'this house' on a $600K budget, he seemed peaved a bit, and sent me a lackluster house plan that I really believe I could have found better in a 'blueprints' book.

Am I completely out of the realm of reality? $600K can't build a very nice 2500-3000sqft home? Not looking for gold toilets here.

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #2  
That is insane. Here in Nashville where labor and materials costs have gone through the roof, my hard costs are not much more than $100 a foot. That is real hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless appliances, etc. Nice finishes, not the absolute best, but in line with what people are looking for. Can you show the plans to a builder and get an estimate? I just can't imagine how all of that extra money would be spent.

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #3  
I think you need a new architect. If his work scope was a 2500 sq ft house and his first plan was a 40% larger than what you requested, you two are out of synch. It is easy to spend $300/ft on a house depending on doors, windows, appliances, trim, surfaces, lighting, etc. However, you are talking about a really, really fancy house. My sis had an architect design a house for her. The plans came back with a much larger house that didn't look anything like what she expected. She took the plans to her builder and he laughed and told her the roof had 9 different pitches and would be too expensive to build, what was her architect smoking? I'd go back to this guy and tell him you are unhappy with his plans, work out a payment, and move to the next guy. Next time, give the designer your expectations in writing regarding size, exterior materials (brick, stucco) trim levels (wainscoating, exposed beams, molding sizes, painted/stained), appliances (commercial stove, built in fridge), surfaces (marble, granite, corian), flooring (wood, stone, tile), windows (impact resistant, vinyl, wood), etc. etc. I suggest finding a pictures of an exterior you like, a floor plan you like and an interior finishes you like, and show these to your designer along with your budget. Best of luck, we are going to be starting this soon.

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #4  
My dad was an architect, i have know 6 architects that lived on my street... A good friend is a architect, he help me and my father "plan" our addition. The 1st plan was twice as much as the final product. You have to "control" your architect, they always go BIG! Don't know why... they over build things, too.

If your architect is bull headed, get another one. If he is NOT listening to you... get another one (or at least say you will if he doesn't change his attitude!). The house we just built, I looked through 1000's (seriously) and figured out what we wanted. Then I rough drew it up, then got it drawn up professionally. (still changed it several more times but only very minor changes).

2015 price of $127 / sq.ft. with a full walkout basement and 8x56 front porch and 16x28' covered side porch, included septic and tying into our old well.

One thing I would suggest, run some pipes from the basement to the attic... I'm using one for Radon Mitigation, one will be used for wires for the solar panels... and I got an extra one.

Last edited:
   / What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #5  
I can't say much about your market, but $250-300/sq ft with higher end finishes is not out of range for a custom built house in Central TX and you will wait 1 year for the a good builder (if you are lucky)

Aside from the size issue, you and your architect may not be aligned with "very good finishes".

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #7  
A lot of it is location based for pricing. We built in 2014 a 2740 sq ft 3b 2.5 bath. Stained concrete floors, all Viking appliances to the tune of $30k copper sink, 8’ doors, min ceiling height of 10’, lots of options. I think we payed right around 300k. Place appraises for over 600k with the land and improvements. Only regret is not turning the attic into more living space and doing foam insulation (builder was against it). We did 2x6 wall studs and allowed for lots of insulation too. Our slab is like 4300sq ft after all the pitches and garage too

Your architect is making to much money off you and not following your instructions. I have a guy down here that charges $.75 per sq ft of living space. Find someone that can follow simple instructions and stay in his lane. Take plans and shop the builder next

Brett

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #8  
Home prices vary greatly across the country. You can get an extremely nice home here for $300K to $400K, way out of my budget but they are very nice

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #9  
The architect has shown his freelancing tendency at your expense right out of the gate. I wouldn't go any further with him.

/ What is the difference between $200 and $300 sqft? #10  
Every architect's goal seems to build his 'Taj Mahal' or trophy that will get him into the Ripley annals.

I notice that just about all municipal buildings designed by architects are guaranteed an award plaque of one kind or another and also they always seem to exceed budgets by a fairly significant %.

The few times I have been involved always required more than a few corrections.
I think they only hear what they want to hear and do what the like.