What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
In an earlier posting <font color=blue>dekker </font color=blue>said

<font color=blue>The auto-darkening helmets always block the dangerous UV wavelengths

The ANSI spec for auto darkening hoods requires the equivalent UV protecton to a shade 14 fixed lens at all times. The LCD only modulates the *visible* light levels passing through the lens. Permanent UV filters are bonded to the LCD to handle the UV. It doesn't matter if the LCD is working or not, the UV filters always are, just like a fixed shade (or better since you won't be nodding your head to shake the hood down as you strike the arc.)

If the LCD and electronics totally failed the worst that would happen would be your seeing spots for a while, but you will not be hurt. </font color=blue>

As a novice welder who is having great difficulty with the convential lens because I lose track of where I am I would really appreciate any suggestions on the "BEST" product to buy - while cost may be a factor it is my eyesight I want to protect so I am willing to pay in order to do that.

Thanks
Bob

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #2  
dourobob -

I've had very good luck with my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.usaweld.com/product_page/welding_helmets/overview.html>HTP</A> helmet.

While others on the board have had good luck with the Harbor Freight helmet, I tried it and because it only had one sensor, sometimes it would turn off (e.g. no more protection) if my arm or whatever cast a shadow on the sensor. My HTP has never done that.

My HTP was definitely not the cheapest out there, but certainly not the most expensive either. I've been very pleased and would get one again. Whatever brand you choose, I'd recommend the variable shading, the variable delay (BIG help at times), and multiple sensors (so it doesn't cut out on you unexpectedly.) Hope this helps.

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #3  
I would highly recommend the Optrel. It is made in Switzerland and is very, very good.

I am a rank amateur at this welding thing, and I was having the same problem as you describe. The Optrel has made a great deal of difference in my welding since I can now control where I start the arc. If I lose the arc, or I have to put a new rod in the holder, the Optrel turns clear immediately and then darkens when I restrike.

I researched the brands carefully. There are other good brands out there, but the Optrel was the one that rung my chimes. It is variable shade, comfortable, and works great. It cost me $280 on sale at my local Airco dealer. They are available on the net for about the same price. Search Optrel and several mail order firms will come up. I know what you mean about protecting your eyesight - I am a professional photographer and my eyesight is my living. The Optrel literature confirms what was said on an earlier post about even protecting your eyes from dangerous rays even when in the clear state. I always test mine when I put it on by striking the sparker for my cutting torch in front of the lens. Even that small amount of light will turn the Optrel dark.

Good luck in your search.

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #4  
A couple of years ago I bought an auto darkening helmet from a local auto supply store.
After using it for about two months I began to see small flashes when the arc struck. That evening I had the classic "sand in the eyes". Turned out the batteries were depleted and the 1/25000 of a second became more like 1 second or so.
Took the helmet back and went back to the old standby. I figured that since it worked well enough for 35 years it should work OK for next 35 or so years. The last time I burned my eyes was while welding a roll bar in a fairly new 64 1/2 Pontiac GTO so it had been awhile.

Bill

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #5  
Shade 14 UV protection at all times is something I didn't know. That makes me feel better about the microflash exposure you can get with an autodarkening helmet. Although, if you close your eyes for a second as you strike the arc, you have no microflash.

Because I couldn't remember, I checked which brand I have. It's a Jackson EQC Executive model. It was the only large lense autodarkening helmet my local welding store had at the time (3 yrs. ago).

I believe this <font color=red>https://www.securewebexchange.com/probuy1.com/WeldingProducts/products/0752-0201EQC.asp>link</font shows the current version of my helmet. At the website, do an item search for Jackson Welding Helmets to see the multitude of variations.

OkieG

Attachments

• 53-224435-MVC-023F(2).JPG
    53-224435-MVC-023F(2).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 393
   / What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #6  
This is a snapshot of the controls inside the helmet.

The two main options to consider regardless of brand are lense size (small or large) and shade (fixed or variable). Some have a solar (light from the welding arc?) component which saves battery life.

I am only an occassional welder, but the original batteries are still in my helmet and seem to be working fine. I have no idea where my helmet runs in a cost or quality comparison, but I have been happy with it so far.

OkieG

Attachments

• 53-224442-MVC-024F.JPG
    53-224442-MVC-024F.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 683
   / What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #7  
OkieG-

That looks like the inside of my HTP helmet. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #8  
Hey Ranchman, good to hear from you.

I wonder if more than one helmet manufacturer gets their lense mechanism from the same source? I guess several brands cculd use the same lenses.

OkieG

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #9  
OkieG-

I suspect you're right about the lenses. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ What is the best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet #10  
I like the jackson Master. It has the option of pushing a button and the lense going to shade five for using a torch. Or you can push another and it goes to clear for grinding. You can also adjust the shades and all the activating timing off and on.

Another consideration not mentioned is the head gear. I don't care how much you love a hood if you don't have decent headgear it will be a pain in the butt. Don't ask, I know it fits on the head. But when it don't work, well, the head ain't the only part of the body that hurts..........