What is enough HP?

/ What is enough HP? #1  

Atypical_decorum

Silver Member
Tractor
Ultra-Wide B7500 & looking for a 100hp
Judging by my wildly successful previous post, I should get some good answers here.

I found a pretty stellar 80hp tractor with more displacement then the 100hp tractors I've been looking at. But, does size matter?

I may as well say what I'm doing exactly with the tractor. A big function of the tractor is pulling a 8 to 10ft hydraulic grader blade. I'll be on flat and hillside ground making trails for my camp goers.

With this same blade I'll be flatening mountains of dirt and rock. The FEL will be moving the same.

I have a Woods 1080 BH which will be used for putting in utilities (water/electric/air), the koi pond and other stuff.

I'll also be pulling felled trees from my work area, up/down/across hills.

I'll be pulling the biggest finish mower I can.

I'll be using a 24" auger bit.

And finally, as far as I can plan for, I'll be deep tilling about 1 acre routinely. I'm sure there will be more, but that's where I'm at for now.

Would 260cu in 80hp tractor cut it or is that magical 3 digit hp number the grail?

Can't get heavy equipment. This has to be an all in one.

Last edited:
   / What is enough HP? #2  
You will undoubtably get lots of opinions.

There are already several threads on this site discussing blade size/weight relative to tractor ratings for both scrape blades and box blades.

/ What is enough HP? #3  
Weight matters more than HP if all you're doing is dragging a blade. HP is more important when you need the PTO to do something like run a mower/blower/tiller type task. An 80 HP tractor should pull some of the largest finish mowers they make without a problem, generally finish mowers take less HP than disc mowers for hay or brush hogs.

/ What is enough HP? #4  
I'd start by looking at the requirements of the specific implements you intend to use.
Based on what you mentioned, weight is probably a more important factor than HP. Of course, you will need sufficient HP to move the weight.

A quick look and, for example, the Rhino 10' blade weighs 1880 lbs. They don't list a minimum HP, but they do mention a maximum (120, iirc).

A 17' Bush Hog brand finish mower puts the HP range at 35-80 (that would be PTO HP).

These are just some for-example bits of info. Really need to look at your actual.

My general opinion of recommendations here is that most people love to spend other's money. You probably don't need nearly as big as you think, but you are going to need a stout tractor.

/ What is enough HP?
You will undoubtably get lots of opinions.

There are already several threads on this site discussing blade size/weight relative to tractor ratings for both scrape blades and box blades.
Do you have a link?

/ What is enough HP? #6  
Like Sea2 states: For ground engagement you need a minimum of 100 lbs per HP. 120 - 130 lbs per HP is even better to tie the power to the ground. If mounting the BH I would also want a heavier framed tractor. PTO is where HP can be required.

/ What is enough HP?
I'd start by looking at the requirements of the specific implements you intend to use.
Based on what you mentioned, weight is probably a more important factor than HP. Of course, you will need sufficient HP to move the weight.

A quick look and, for example, the Rhino 10' blade weighs 1880 lbs. They don't list a minimum HP, but they do mention a maximum (120, iirc).

A 17' Bush Hog brand finish mower puts the HP range at 35-80 (that would be PTO HP).

These are just some for-example bits of info. Really need to look at your actual.

My general opinion of recommendations here is that most people love to spend other's money. You probably don't need nearly as big as you think, but you are going to need a stout tractor.
I have read the reqs for ear item, but I'm using them in non standard ways. Hence the post. The bare minimum for my of my stuff is 50hp. But 50HP will just make the impliments move against smooth/flat ground. I'm doing significantly more work with them.

I'm ballasting the tires and probably getting a wider set to get more ballast/traction too.

/ What is enough HP? #8  
I use both a 75hp and a 120hp tractor.

HP matters most when running PTO attachments that can get bogged down...like batwing cutters through thick growth.

Have found that my 75 will do just about everything I need it to do in as far as harrowing with a 12' ridged harrow, a 10' offset disk, or chores like that.

Weight and 4x4 count when doing heavy pulling type work. Not found much my 75hp won't handle.

You'd probably be fine with the 80hp as long as it's heavy-ish and has 4x4.

/ What is enough HP? #9  
Judging by my wildly successful previous post, I should get some good answers here.

I found a pretty stellar 80hp tractor with more displacement then the 100hp tractors I've been looking at. But, does size matter?

I may as well say what I'm doing exactly with the tractor. A big function of the tractor is pulling a 8 to 10ft hydraulic grader blade. I'll be on flat and hillside ground making trails for my camp goers.

With this same blade I'll be flatening mountains of dirt and rock. The FEL will be moving the same.

I have a Woods 1080 BH which will be used for putting in utilities (water/electric/air), the koi pond and other stuff.

I'll also be pulling felled trees from my work area, up/down/across hills.

Tractors are not really designed for land clearing duties. Maintaining already established trails certainly. For land clearing and shaping duties go with a CTL or dozer.