Tractor News What is driving up the demand for tractors?

/ What is driving up the demand for tractors? #51  
Ever since the Columbian exchange there have been significant crop exports. It is called trade. This is not news and certainly not significantly better or worse than years prior. Some people will argue we need that for 'balance of trade'.

As mentioned above, reductions would boost prices even higher. Food production is tricky from an economics standpoint. Even if calculations showed it more efficient to import 100% of our food...it would be irresponsible from a national security standpoint as we would be dependent on others just to eat.

See how the world reacts if the US were to cut grain production down to domestic use only. We would be pilloried over how we are starving poor and minority cultures. There would be UN resolutions condemning us for genocide.
My only point in starting this discussion was to respond to a post concerned that we wouldn’t be producing enough food for our country. I pointed out that we produce more than we use and export the surplus.

/ What is driving up the demand for tractors? #52  
I paid $8,500 for this 1984 model, 47HP, FWA. What would a new one cost me?

View attachment 730349

A nice tractor.

I assume your question is rhetorical. I'm sure that you are aware - as we all are - that the purchasing power of the dollar changes relative to wages and commodities. Just as we are aware that the ratio between these things has remained remarkably constant.

So the answer is this: If if you had put that same $8500 into a long term savings/investment account at the bank, then today the money in that account today would buy a similar nice new 50 hp 4wd 3pt tractor with a back blade. Even though the numbers are different, the purchasing power is very close to the same.

You didn't ask - again because I think you already know - but one way to "win" here is to keep that old tractor. Even if keeping it means putting half that savings account into a total end-to-end rebuild, the other half of the money in that account still goes into your pocket as pure profit.
Plus you have a refurbished tractor.

Or you could sell it and put that money into your pocket as profit. That leaves with roughly the same profit...but without a tractor.

Either way it's a win.
One way wins more than the other.
But you knew that.

good luck,
rScotty

/ What is driving up the demand for tractors? #53  
My only point in starting this discussion was to respond to a post concerned that we wouldn’t be producing enough food for our country. I pointed out that we produce more than we use and export the surplus.
By design of our government using subsidies to control volume.

/ What is driving up the demand for tractors? #54  
So the answer is this: If if you had put that same $8500 into a long term savings/investment account at the bank, then today the money in that account today would buy a similar nice new 50 hp 4wd 3pt tractor with a back blade. Even though the numbers are different, the purchasing power is very close to the same.

good luck,
rScotty
But you must figure in the productivity of this tractor over the past 38 years. When that's included it would be a no brainer to purchase the tractor in 1984. :)

I'll never sell it. I don't buy things to sell. I buy them to use. My Sons will never sell it. Can't be sure of Grandsons. That's on my Sons. :)

/ What is driving up the demand for tractors? #55  
I'm just glad I decided to buy when I did, got my tractor about six months into covid before everyone wanted to refugee it out of the cities, commodities went awry and such. Got 5k off my MSRP since it was a year old "layover" and got implements shortly after in good time before steel prices impacted their selling price. So all and all I feel like I stand in a good spot, the tractor is going to be my main retirement activity. But I just decided to get it a decade sooner, boy am I glad. I've gotten 20 years worth of outside stuff done in 1.5 years.

/ What is driving up the demand for tractors? #56  
   / What is driving up the demand for tractors? #57  
   / What is driving up the demand for tractors? #58  
Nice antique.

Where’s the heated and air conditioned cab, mid pot, and front mounted blower?

How’s the stereo working?
That ole tractor has features your 3800 can only dream about. :)

/ What is driving up the demand for tractors? #59  
I could buy more of almost anything at 13 year year ago prices with half as much money vs now.
But you said youd throw 50% of your money away.
I wouldnt