What is a Tractors Lifespan?

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #61  
I have not ever really had trouble getting jd parts. They can be a lttle pricey. The only thing i could not get a hold of was some cast parts for a jd 14t baler. Had to get them from a salvage yard. A lot of them old tractors are collectors tractors, and have not heard of anybody having trouble getting parts. I did have to fly in a part for my baler probably 10 years or so back. Had hay down and weather man was predicting run. I literally payed dearly for that part, but it was in a warehouse someplace in illinois. But yeah, john deere had it and the dealer could track its shipment progress. He basically told me it was at kci at 4:30 in the morning and to head to dealer cause the part would be there in about 20 minutes. Got the part, fixed the baler amd went to work. Had a crew picking up bales as i was baling. Beat the thunderstorms by about an hour.

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #62  
John Deere makes virtually nothing on Parts for a 50 year old tractor compared to what they make selling a brand new , tax write off tractor every five years..

Depends on how you look at it. JD would not sell as many new tractors if they did not support the old ones so well. Chicken or egg first kind of thing as I see it. JD has it well thought out.

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #63  
Depends on how you look at it. JD would not sell as many new tractors if they did not support the old ones so well. Chicken or egg first kind of thing as I see it. JD has it well thought out.

I recently bought a 1984 Ford TLB. Parts are readily available and was one of the reasons for purchasing that brand. I've spent $1500 in repair parts. I wonder how many times that machine has had $1500 spent on it??? Many, many, many I'd guess. I'd also guess Ford (CNH) has made as much profit selling parts for that machine over the past 34 years as they did on the original selling price. Maybe more.... :)

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #64  
I recently bought a 1984 Ford TLB. Parts are readily available and was one of the reasons for purchasing that brand. I've spent $1500 in repair parts. I wonder how many times that machine has had $1500 spent on it??? Many, many, many I'd guess. I'd also guess Ford (CNH) has made as much profit selling parts for that machine over the past 34 years as they did on the original selling price. Maybe more.... :)

I am not sure of the business model for tractors but I know on aircraft engines if they break even on the initial sale they are happy because their profit is in the many years of parts orders and ongoing income. GE pioneered that model as it got them into the business and they have been very successful with it. My brother on the farm mentioned that this year JD did not sell as much new farm equipment but the parts prices went up - don't know if this was just the dealer - to make up for the lost profits.

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #65  
Just how many hour/years can we expect a tractor to last?

Depends on when and who built it from what I have seen.

We have a few late 40s early 50s Fords and Farmall tractors that are so simple its obvious why they are more reliable than new ones that have much more electronics. Not to mention parts available to keep them running.

There are tractors a lot younger that are scrap because of zero parts support.

I can buy pretty much anything for a 71 year old 8N, more than likely won’t be able to say that about any new tractor today, in 70 years.

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #66  
If you sitt on the tractor 12h a day 6 days a week you want som much comfort and automation you can have. You dont sitt there and worry on lifetime and parts support.

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #67  
Depends on when and who built it from what I have seen.

We have a few late 40s early 50s Fords and Farmall tractors that are so simple its obvious why they are more reliable than new ones that have much more electronics. Not to mention parts available to keep them running.

There are tractors a lot younger that are scrap because of zero parts support.

I can buy pretty much anything for a 71 year old 8N, more than likely won’t be able to say that about any new tractor today, in 70 years.
You got it figured out and i totally agree.

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #68  
Here is my old gal at 44 years old. She gets put to work every summer with a 6 foot cutter, maybe spread some fertilizer and a 10 foot disc. Hour meter works and says 2,300 hours or so. IMG_0765.JPG

The Kubota is a 2004 with roughly 500 or so hours. I like my Kubota but would prefer the L Grand series with Hydro.

Attachments

• 2014-08-22_16_18_51.jpg
    2014-08-22_16_18_51.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
   / What is a Tractors Lifespan? #69  
Here is my old gal at 44 years old. She gets put to work every summer with a 6 foot cutter, maybe spread some fertilizer and a 10 foot disc. Hour meter works and says 2,300 hours or so. View attachment 539264

The Kubota is a 2004 with roughly 500 or so hours. I like my Kubota but would prefer the L Grand series with Hydro.
What model is the old gal??? She looks bigger than a 656 and smaller than an 806.

/ What is a Tractors Lifespan? #70  
What model is the old gal??? She looks bigger than a 656 and smaller than an 806.

That is a IH 674.

Fires right up every time I turn the key. No heater, no glow plugs....just some sort of choke type thing and cranks right up. Real strong, never complains!