What if....?

/ What if....? #81  
I mulled over the possibility of selling my tractor and maybe implements and just hire out jobs as I need. I bought a L3301 back in 2019 and in two years after I sold it I put 100 hrs on it. Most of that 100 hrs was making a walking trail through my woods.

I then upgraded to an MX5400 and have 11 hrs on it since I bought it in late May of 2021. I bought it new and have 6 yr note that I pay $500/mo. I also have a heavy duty rotary cutter, box blade and grapple (from EA) that is paid off.

Most of the low hrs was due to a lot of rain during May and part of June.

However I started thinking of why I need this tractor. I used it for grading the driveway once a year. I used it to pick up a downed tree every now and then. I use it to mow in certain areas of my property and thin out scrub around the trees.

I did have a few very large branches that blocked the driveway that I was easily able to lift with the tractor and bring to the burn pile. That was nice although I could have used a chainsaw to cut the branches into manageable pieces to haul off with my side by side.

I could hire someone once a year to grade the driveway. I know there are people on Craigslist that will hire out themselves with a tractor for $75/hr.

What's your opinion?
I think it depends on whether you enjoy doing the work your self, if you don't, hire some one in and save the hassle but if you do it is worth every penny.

/ What if....? #82  
A couple observations:
OP asks if tractor ownership is justified on site dedicated to tractor ownership. Factor in a tiny bit of bias : )
OP says he can afford finance payments on tractor that sounds underutilized.
OK, this is how my reasoning on it would go: What else can I do with that money?
What is the total payoff of the note - can I sell and free and clear?
Will I be happier when done or will I have regrets?
Regrets are often the possibilities I have to put aside because the capability was in the tool I sold.
But there is a flip side: sometimes I hire out work and I learn something.
Purely for illustration: put the money saved into getting the driveway upgraded such that much less maintenance is required.

/ What if....? #83  
It isn't just the way that it's used, it's also the twisting against the solid rear housing as you go over rough or uneven ground. I thought the same way that you did, but after paying careful attention to what's going on I decided to either get a subframe; finish my tractor shed done so that I can bring the TO35 home; or get my 8N running, which has been out in the back field for the last 8 years or so.
I have a backhoe w a substantial subframe. I can confirm that it takes up the torsion and there is plenty when pulling up roots and swinging the boom. The tradeoff is that I can't belly mount anything, but I'll take it.

/ What if....? #84  
Your post, and all the replies so far have been wonderful to read.
It’s so difficult for anyone to answer your question without sitting in your tractor and being you. 😁

In my opinion, and having said that, just the opportunity of having so many varied folks offer their input is a valuable resource for sure.

Every one of us have different needs and requirements.

As an example, I’ve heard many folks talk about acreage as being a primary, or THE prime measurement of need for a specific size or type of tractor/implements.

For myself, my various income and personal properties probably all total less than 4 acres, and are within a 25 mile circle of each other, and average about an acre each.

So to apply a basic acreage principal to my situation probably wouldn’t work. I could say I have 4 acres and get a pretty fair match for equipment, but if the 4 acres contains mixed properties with narrow (sub 4ft areas for a travel path, for access or for mowing), then an L3560 cab would be a difficult fit for mowing or maintenance as access could be a problem.

Usage is probably the most important measurement in my situation.

From sanitary work, grading for water control, driveway creation/repair, support for firewood for heat (from pulling logs from the woods to moving and holding material while cutting into rounds, and moving/storing the IBC tote containers of prepped firewood), cleaning up and managing the windward shoreline of the lake we are on from wind blown trees and such that floats or blows in every spring, mowing of grass, trimming trees with the work platform, digging holes for construction projects for decks/porches, removing surprise finds (like the 750 gallon surprise find of an old underground and partially collapsed steel tank), moving landscape materials such as mulch or topsoil, digging and placing poles and stringing wires for a small 30 vine vineyard on one of the properties, and simple things like mixing concrete in the round back bucket for projects or moving and de-trucking large 500 to 1500 Lb pallets I receive for installation of equipment for the work that I do.
It’s a dizzying amount of personal work that I perform with my L3560 cab in weather from -20 to 105 degrees and in rain or snow.

There is little ability to compare my use in a single year of 400 hours to your needs at 11 to 20
hours. But still, it’s the varied input from so many that offers us the greatest ability to make informed decisions over the opposite.

I have already been educated here with respect to folks that have something that I would feel is overkill for the minimal amount of hours that their high priced equipment is used. Everyone is NOT the same age, and we don’t all fit into any specific category as far as financial, happiness, workload, or any other constraint or non-constraint guideline.

I’m guess I’m just saying that your decisions are really something that’s based on the things that make you happy and in that effort fit into the financial or other constraints that you live by. Rent it , buy it, or hire it out… it’s really just a convenience thing from what I have gleaned here.

/ What if....? #85  
I mulled over the possibility of selling my tractor and maybe implements and just hire out jobs as I need. I bought a L3301 back in 2019 and in two years after I sold it I put 100 hrs on it. Most of that 100 hrs was making a walking trail through my woods.

I then upgraded to an MX5400 and have 11 hrs on it since I bought it in late May of 2021. I bought it new and have 6 yr note that I pay $500/mo. I also have a heavy duty rotary cutter, box blade and grapple (from EA) that is paid off.

Most of the low hrs was due to a lot of rain during May and part of June.

However I started thinking of why I need this tractor. I used it for grading the driveway once a year. I used it to pick up a downed tree every now and then. I use it to mow in certain areas of my property and thin out scrub around the trees.

I did have a few very large branches that blocked the driveway that I was easily able to lift with the tractor and bring to the burn pile. That was nice although I could have used a chainsaw to cut the branches into manageable pieces to haul off with my side by side.

I could hire someone once a year to grade the driveway. I know there are people on Craigslist that will hire out themselves with a tractor for $75/hr.

What's your opinion?
I think there are many of us with a tractor that are not involved in any substantial farming activities. This would make it easy to asses the value of owning a tractor. I have 50 acres of land and a driveway that is about 250 ft long. I have honeybees I keep so not a livestock that needs a tractor lol. I measure the value by the satisfaction I get just puttering around with it. Like you, I have low hours but I find there is something reassuring that not matter what comes up I have a tractor and I can deal with it myself. My boss, (AKA wife lol) and I decided we wanted to change the landscape at the front of the house. So after many trips on the tractor back into the fields retrieving very large limestone rocks and arranging them around the front of the house/driveway we have a very different and I think, a nice change. This was not planned out and just came up. I didn't have to worry about hiring or renting any equipment. It was done the way I wanted, when I wanted.
If you value what you have by $$ then owning a tractor sounds like not a good deal for you. but if you value it by the mental and physical satisfaction working on a tractor gives you then it is priceless, IMOA.

/ What if....? #86  
Keep your tractor if you are able to make the notes. You have the ability to grade your driveway WHEN you want to . You can move large trees and limbs out of the way WHEN you need to ( think after a thunderstorm or tornado or hurricane ) depending on your part of the country. There is never a tractor available after these major events . Only you know your financial situation, but if money is not an issue I strongly support you keeping your tractor and implements.

/ What if....? #87  
What maybe missing here is what will the tractor be worth after it is paid off . If you take really good care of it you could be ahead of this as far as costs go . Kubota tractors are very good at keeping their value . I know first hand as I have sold a couple of them over the years . I wish I had more when I put one on craigs list , the phone just kept on ringing . If tractor prices keep going up like they have over the years and you enjoy the tractor keeping it maybe the best option .

/ What if....? #88  
I seldom get into these discussions, but I found this one interesting. It reminded me of my brother who told me that when he was hauling cattle to the auction every year, it was lots of work. He had to pen and load the cattle. They would crap and urinate in the trailer which was corrosive to the trailer. He had to wash it out and it still rusted on him. He finally decided to get rid of the trailer and he just makes a phone call after penning the cattle. They get loaded and he gets a check in the mail. I think it made sense to hire out the cattle hauling.
Regarding hiring out farm work I would also be concerned about the quality of the work by the CL farmer and the scheduling. Sometimes good and sometimes maybe not so good. He also may be busy when you need him.
I think with the amount of land you have the tractor is a necessity. Its like having a jack, you may only use it once in a great while, but when you need it.....

/ What if....? #89  
I am on board with Dodge Man. You seem happy with your upgrade. If the payment is not a problem, use it, keep it. And about renting. From what I have seen, even if you find a rental, even an L series would rent for about 2K a month. You will have to count that as a loss. Take care of your tractor, and you will probably loose less than that when you sell it in a few years. Yes, tractors are expensive. Renting can be more expensive - and usually can't find one when you need. And hiring out can be a real headacahe . I like your tractor also, It is worth the investment you put in it. Best wishes.

Last edited:
   / What if....? #90  
If everyone was really frugal we'd all rent a cheap room, eat canned soup and ride the bus.
I wouldn't have 40 or even 4 acres without some kind of tractor.
I'm looking at four toolboxes packed completely full, garage full of equipment, etc which is nutty but it's nice to be able to have what I need to fix something. $Thousands tied up in things I could have paid someone else to do.
I sure hope I never have to go to a nursing home some day. If I do they better have a padded cell.