What I learned from my bee stings!

/ What I learned from my bee stings! #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
In my "How to kill bee hive in ground?" thread I told about getting stung. Here's what I think I learned:

I didn't realize how far you had to go to avoid getting stung some more: On the 'net it's written that bee stings involve the release of pheromones so others know where to come get you. I assumed that meant within a reasonably close distance to the hive, & just so they don't have to rely on sight to find you. Well, after being stung I ran away, of course, & once calmed down decided to chop some vegetation about 80' away from the bees. That wasn't far enough. After about 5 minutes another came & stung me. Another minute later, one last sting. I finally figured out: Time to leave. (It only took 4 stings for me to figure that out!! :laughing:)

I always thought hornets were worse than bees: Maybe not always the case, but these bee stings (assuming they actually are bees; I'm no expert & never could see 'em real good) hurt worse than what I believe were hornet stings I got a couple months ago. The hornet stings hurt worse for the first 20 minutes or so, but went away altogether some time the same day. Yesterday's bees stung me at about 7pm, & they still hurt like h3ll right now at 10:30am.

I thought I could return to the vicinity of the nest later: I decided to take a peak at the nest this morning around 9:30am (over 14 hours later). Got within about 5 feet: Not a single bee to be seen; I thought rolling my back tire over them may have made them leave town! :thumbsup: But no: Not 10 seconds later they apparently could still "smell" me & started coming out of the ground again. Needless to say, I hauled tail completely out there.

Last edited:
   / What I learned from my bee stings! #2  
Since that Kubota is a 2010, maybe you can get a good dealer trade on a CAB.:thumbsup:

/ What I learned from my bee stings! #3  
They are probably Yellowjackets since they were in the ground.

Bees leave their stingers in YOU
Most other stinging insects retain their stingers

/ What I learned from my bee stings!
They are probably Yellowjackets since they were in the ground.

Bees leave their stingers in YOU
Most other stinging insects retain their stingers

OK! Glad to know what they are. I didn't find any stingers in me.

/ What I learned from my bee stings! #5  
I don't like reading this post :( . I am battling wasps here. First, there was a nest in the ground near my septic tank cover. I thought I killed them with a foam spray. - Then their first real nest was hanging down under an end of my deck, and it took 2 spray cans full over 2 nights up the hole to eliminate most of them. Then when I went to knock it down (no signs of life, and 2 dead ones blocking the entry hole), there were still some alive in the middle! Took another series of shots in the new holes I'd poked to finally kill them all. Or so I thought. Now they are trying to build a second nest under a different part of my deck, so I am about to go spray it too. This one is about 10 feet up, so I'll need a ladder to get close enough with the type of spray I got. I hate bees and wasps and hornets of all kinds!

/ What I learned from my bee stings! #6  
Those electric bug killers work real good. I used a 20 ft stick of PVC, and sat the bug killer down on a yellow jacket nest, and they all came out and guess what. They tried to sting the grid/light. That thing arced and sparked for about 30 min Smoked every one of them. I had to wire brush the burned up little critters off the grid.

/ What I learned from my bee stings!
Those electric bug killers work real good. I used a 20 ft stick of PVC, and sat the bug killer down on a yellow jacket nest, and they all came out and guess what. They tried to sting the grid/light. That thing arced and sparked for about 30 min Smoked every one of them. I had to wire brush the burned up little critters off the grid.

Did that get rid of all of them?? I like that if it works!

/ What I learned from my bee stings! #8  

Ha, Ha......that would have been a sight to see.

/ What I learned from my bee stings! #9  
Is is kind of funny that they want to play follow the leader. Yep, killed every one of them.

/ What I learned from my bee stings! #10  
Genius!
I am now going to buy a bug zapper this weekend.