What happened to Massey Ferguson?

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #41  
Well, my question prompted some interesting comments. My initial intent was to address why Massey seems ghostly in the current CUT foray of Kubota, JD, Kioti, TYM, New Holland, former Branson, and a number of less known. Massey hardly makes their list.

Yes, in the ag world, Massey has a little more handhold. And many of you see older Massey iron and call them present, but I'm speaking of today's market. Their apparent distance sure doesn't help their cause to remain competitive.

I have an LS. It's great. But it was and still is lesser % in the market. Massey is less than that!

Happy New Year, y'all.
Think it all depends in what region you are in. Like here, I have absolutely NO Case IH, New Holland, Tym, Branson dealers anywhere, so those tractors are almost non-existant.
Then the other thing that happened is we lost a couple good family owned Massey dealers because a few years back AGCO started doing the John deere thing and said you have to be a big multiple location franchise to have a dealership with us, so they either closed up or moved on to other smaller brands like LS, Kioti, etc.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #42  
Well, my question prompted some interesting comments. My initial intent was to address why Massey seems ghostly in the current CUT foray of Kubota, JD, Kioti, TYM, New Holland, former Branson, and a number of less known. Massey hardly makes their list.

Yes, in the ag world, Massey has a little more handhold. And many of you see older Massey iron and call them present, but I'm speaking of today's market. Their apparent distance sure doesn't help their cause to remain competitive.

I have an LS. It's great. But it was and still is lesser % in the market. Massey is less than that!

Happy New Year, y'all.
I see their newer compacts all over around north Florida. We have a couple good dealers. Definitely more popular than most. Where you getting sales figures from? I bet they sell more than LS.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #43  
Think it all depends in what region you are in. Like here, I have absolutely NO Case IH, New Holland, Tym, Branson dealers anywhere, so those tractors are almost non-existant.
Then the other thing that happened is we lost a couple good family owned Massey dealers because a few years back AGCO started doing the John deere thing and said you have to be a big multiple location franchise to have a dealership with us, so they either closed up or moved on to other smaller brands like LS, Kioti, etc.
So, I think to that point; the general public guy who wants a Small tractor immediately thinks of Kubota, and he's heard of and knows John Deere. Then he starts looking at prices, and compares known product A and B vs much cheaper unknowns. They tend not to look at 10% cheaper Massey, and by the time they start exploring they have in their mind, the dilemma of Jd/Kub vs cheaper; and somehow, the solid B+ machine, with a solid B+ price doesn't enter thier mind. They are just weighing A quality and F price, vs F quality and A price...

Not saying JD or Kub is A quality or that LS/TYM/Kioti is F quality, but for Joe blow, that's how their mind works.

Me personally, I've been a long time fan of MF; but when it came time to lay money on the table, the 1526 seemed a solid step down in size/lift/weight, but a dang nice machine, just too small for me; and 17E was pretty umm, crude, and the 17M was a thing of beauty, but cost too much.

Guess what I'm saying MF is has less general public name recognition; and doesn't Wow on price. It's just a plain solid choice, and that's not sexy.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #44  
I think my Massey is very sexy!!!

287709684_5543150769041852_4445185742935254632_n.jpg

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #46  
I'll illustrate one problem with Massey Ferguson. I have two John Deere dealers, one Kubota dealer, one New Holland dealer, and a Kioti dealer within 15 miles of my place. The nearest MF dealer is 280 miles away.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #47  
Just traded my faithful 20yo massey on a 2024 Massey. Looked at other tractors, there’s something i liked in each one but at the end of the day i feel the most comfortable with massey. I thought massey was pretty popular..

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #48  
Just traded my faithful 20yo massey on a 2024 Massey. Looked at other tractors, there’s something i liked in each one but at the end of the day i feel the most comfortable with massey. I thought massey was pretty popular..
I dont know if there are any real numbers available publicly, but I would guess in the 75hp-150hp plus, US market, they are probably a solid 3rd; in the 25-75hp, they are most likely 5th? behind JD/Kub/Case-New Holland, Mahindra, and Kioti?

in the full sized ag machines; I'm not sure, MF is probably 2nd or 3rd? Behind JD, but its hard to say if they are ahead or behind Case?

One place they shine is commercial/government machines. Corps/Gov are gonna get bids/RFPs from JD/Kub/Case-NH, and Massey; not from Mahindra/Kioti/LS/TYM, and there are a lot of machines mowing road right of ways, parks, ball fields, schools, ect

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #49  
My 64 year old M-F 50 is in the shop right now for a new clutch, & a few other things, & I so miss having her here to to skid logs; As well as spliting wood. You don't know what ya got till it's gone; I still have the 5 year old 1526 too the other chores, But it's just different not having Stella here to work with . In short I wish I had the need for a newer M-F; I'd go buy one asap they are still popular in my world, & the only tractor brand I ever owned, & nobody in my family has ever owned a tractor before other than my brother who bought his 1st new tractor 3 years ago; A M-F of course. I think allot of people buy Massey-Ferguson by word of mouth from people who have owned them. I knew I wanted a M-F from the beginning without anybody telling me about tractors. NO REGRETS HERE. IMHO You made a good choice.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #50  
I dont know if there are any real numbers available publicly, but I would guess in the 75hp-150hp plus, US market, they are probably a solid 3rd; in the 25-75hp, they are most likely 5th? behind JD/Kub/Case-New Holland, Mahindra, and Kioti?

in the full sized ag machines; I'm not sure, MF is probably 2nd or 3rd? Behind JD, but its hard to say if they are ahead or behind Case?

One place they shine is commercial/government machines. Corps/Gov are gonna get bids/RFPs from JD/Kub/Case-NH, and Massey; not from Mahindra/Kioti/LS/TYM, and there are a lot of machines mowing road right of ways, parks, ball fields, schools, ect

What’s weird is I only saw 2 brands mowing roadsides around here up till about 5 years ago

New Holland and Challenger. Challenger is just a Massey with a CAT/Perkins diesel and a little different cab roof/windshield and CAT yellow paint.

Now Challenger is gone, so that has changed. I still see a lot of New Hollands, but the Challengers have been replaced mostly with lowend economy Deeres.

Massey makes a great tractor. The bigger versions have Fendt transmission, rear axle, braking systems. You get a 1/2 of a Fendt for about 1/4 less money.

Don’t know much about the little ones, but the dealerships should be solid, AG backed dealers with excellent service and parts networks.