What happened to Massey Ferguson?

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #81  
Tractor Mike had a great, thorough youtube video about each tractor brand and what happened to them as they were bought, sold and consolidated. Very interesting if you are in the market or not.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #82  
Are Massey-Ferguson's now better than Kubota and John-Deere? I'm looking to buy a cab tractor (hydro) in the 35 to 45 hp ranage.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #83  
I drove most of the Masseys in my youth, the 44 being my favourite. It is Heat Hauser weather for those that remember.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #84  
I bought my 1723E in 2020...the Deeres were just priced out of the picture..I narrowed it down to MF, KIOTI and Kubota...I found these 3 to be quite comparable...except price...the Massey was much more competitively priced, and the dealer (Belle Meade Garage in New Jersey) was just different...he really seemed to know the machine and more importantly how to talk to people...this little thing is a beast...I had a Simplicity Legacy and a few other loaders before this, but they were all gas..that Legacy was burning through almost 5 gallons of gasoline an hour....the 1723 gets about 3 hours to a gallon of diesel....check over at MY TRACTOR FORUM and go to the Massey part of the forum and see some discussions of them
DSCN4818.jpg

Last edited:
   / What happened to Massey Ferguson? #86  
As a kid home on "the farm" dad had John Deere and was a JD man thru and thru. If it wasn't green he would not even consider it. At 16 I started working for a MM Mf dealer. Really opened my eyes and found there were other tractors as good as or better than Deere. AS I worked my way thru the colege and the Army I returned to the dealer, wher I learned how to repair Masseys and Molines. Even a few "off breeds" came thru the shop ocassionally. After learning the simplicity of the Masseys I learned they were an easy tractor to repair and keep running, and the Perkins engines were pretty dogone fuel efficient.
I was not happy with some of the decisions MF made as to their product line, as dropping the lawn and garden tractors. They did try to keep up with Deere as they sold tools, chain saws and such things but that was short lived.
In the late 80"s Massey Combines Corporation was created and they put a lot of the "losing" equipment under that unbrella, then bankrupt it. But thhe Tractors were not compromised.
Then in the early 90's Agco (Allis Gleaner Company) was formed and started purchasing other farm equipment companies among them was Massey Ferguson.
Of course with all the changes dealers were lost and some were added and some were combined.
I left the dealer in 89 but still am loyal to Massey, only own four (can't afford more) and what I own are the A line Detroit built tractors. After all I need something to "play" with.
I do understand the dealer makes a difference as to what someone purchases, after all no support or parts staock make ownership miserable.
Ther is so much more I could tell but I have covered enough.
Check out the site below and or searc for more on Massey or Agco

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #87  
40 years ago when I was a young buck I used to flip/restore/sell MF 135's for fun & $$$. Always wanted a 265. Then we moved to a 15 acre property with few flat parts and many steep parts and a 2WD tractor was useless on over half our land.

Had 4x4 for 25 years now - never go back....

GN

Greetings All!
Just a general topic question:
With all the tractor talk and newer brands, rebranding, emerging models and buyouts, where is Massey Ferguson in all this? I never see reviews, or comparisons including MF. Are they a "has been" brand now? Do they fail the current markets? Poor dealer support? Overpriced?

Just curious why I don't find any sizeable quantity of info about them.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #88  
I just picked up an 1825E last Friday.

Unit was pretty comparable to kubota and Deere.

But without the hefty price tag.

Dealers just as close as the other two.

The big issue I have with kubota and deere is both dealerships were bought out by larger conglomerates.

After the buy out, prices skyrocketed and the service went to crap.

The Massey dealer is still a mom and pop operation focused on customer service.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #89  
I just picked up an 1825E last Friday.

Unit was pretty comparable to kubota and Deere.

But without the hefty price tag.

Dealers just as close as the other two.

The big issue I have with kubota and deere is both dealerships were bought out by larger conglomerates.

After the buy out, prices skyrocketed and the service went to crap.

The Massey dealer is still a mom and pop operation focused on customer service.

Did you make a thread and I missed it?!

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #90  
Greetings All!
Just a general topic question:
With all the tractor talk and newer brands, rebranding, emerging models and buyouts, where is Massey Ferguson in all this? I never see reviews, or comparisons including MF. Are they a "has been" brand now? Do they fail the current markets? Poor dealer support? Overpriced?

Just curious why I don't find any sizeable quantity of info about them.
Good question . In my area the only MF dealer was bought out by JD . I sold my MF1635 last year and compared to a JD in same HP it was a better value . being a shortage of MF dealers dose not help . James River , a JD company, has pretty much taken over the east coast . Man that bought my tractor asked them to add rear hydraulics on it and they refused . He had to haul it a long distance to the closest MF dealer .