What gives?

/ What gives? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I was given a link to view the local paper online the other day and I thought that was a great way to get the paper instead of the printed version. So I finally got around to see what the pdf version cost compared the the print version. The printed paper cost $12.35 a month delivered to our house in the country. The pdf.version I would have to log on in to view cost $15 a month.

Why would the online version that they don't have to print or deliver cost that much more? I understand sever costs and such but still I would think it would be cheaper to view the news online compared to printed and delivered. Oh well, the printed version will get my money as long as it is still cheaper.

/ What gives? #2  
May have something to do with advertising. They may not make as much in the way of advertising dollars with the online version.

/ What gives? #3  
We lost our daily delivery of The Detroit News to Thursday, Friday, & Sunday only. They suggested going on-line to read the paper. Why bother? - most of the stuff I read in the paper each morning I had already read on-line the night before.

/ What gives? #4  
We lost our daily delivery of The Detroit News to Thursday, Friday, & Sunday only. They suggested going on-line to read the paper. Why bother? - most of the stuff I read in the paper each morning I had already read on-line the night before.

I agree , I doubt local papers will survive much longer IMO . with the local stations carrying daily news online & the other worldwide news & No revenue from the classified ads , becuase of Craigslist & online buying & selling sites .

It seems kind of useless to even pay for an online paper even if it was cheaper . Unless You want the sunday coupons or tv guide which in most cases can also be found online as well, IMO . Bob

/ What gives?
I agree , I doubt local papers will survive much longer IMO . with the local stations carrying daily news online & the other worldwide news & No revenue from the classified ads , becuase of Craigslist & online buying & selling sites .

It seems kind of useless to even pay for an online paper even if it was cheaper . Unless You want the sunday coupons or tv guide which in most cases can also be found online as well, IMO . Bob

The advantage of the local paper is that it is one source that basically covers just the local area and local sports. I have tried finding scores from our school teams before or trying to find out when something is suppose to start like a fair or something and our town and village websites are worthless and sports scores are almost impossible to find. The local paper just makes it easier to keep up with the local community.

/ What gives? #6  
I dropped my Mon-Fri home delivery several months ago whenthe subscription ran out. It has gone from 50c to $1.00 in a year and they just quit mail delevery. Coverage has gone in the toilet. So bad that the local paper didn't even mention a fairly major RR accident..wel for this area anyhow, several cars of grain spilled. Still getting the Saturday/Sunday paper home delivery but will stop that when it runs out. There is hardly any nationalnews in it anymore and local news is very sparse. On-line? I might try it but suspect the cost will also be in the stratosphere.

Harry K

/ What gives? #7  
is that the tractor daily? there's tractors to discuss and you guys are taking about newspapers?

/ What gives?
is that the tractor daily? there's tractors to discuss and you guys are taking about newspapers?

:confused: If you don't like the discussion then don't read it. Since I posted this thread in the "Rural Living" section I figured it would be appropriate since I was discussing something to do with "Rural Living". Silly me:rolleyes:

/ What gives? #9  
:confused: If you don't like the discussion then don't read it. Since I posted this thread in the "Rural Living" section I figured it would be appropriate since I was discussing something to do with "Rural Living". Silly me:rolleyes:

I agree with you and it is nice / sad to see what is happening in and around the country.

Here in New Hampshire we just had a local publisher in the western part of the state close their doors. It put a number of people out of work and they had ond day notice that the paper publisher would be closing the doors. Tough times for news paper people.

I believe that there is a place for written news papers other than going to the internet and reading a story or two!

/ What gives? #10  
I stopped delivery of our local paper over a year ago. It cost $130 for the evening edition, 7 day service for 1 year. The paper kept getting thinner and thinner, then they went to the narrow width. As Robert mentioned, they did cover local news and sports, but the rest of the paper consisted of wire service articles I could get at any website. Even the sports and local news wasn't of much interest to us since the kids were grown.

When I called to cancel, the person didn't even try to keep me as a customer or even ask why I was canceling. They were polite, but that's about it. Kind of sad, really, since I delivered this paper as a kid. I still can feel the weight of the strap on my shoulder, especially the Thursday evening paper when all the ads and inserts were in it. Hopefully, a newspaper will be displayed near the 33 1/3, 45, 78 rpm records, 8 track tapes and cassette display across from the Dodo bird in the museum.