What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation.

/ What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #41  
The last thing I've ever considered - cost to operate. For me - it's a simple fact of living out here. Without my tractor and implements - many projects would go by the wayside. I'd have to find some way to complete the others.

On the positive side - my Tier 3 Kubota M6040 is retaining its value nicely.
For most people, you are correct. Cost to operate is of little concern, it is just a fact of life if they need a tractor.

However, when wanting to use a tractor for business purposes, you have to figure out how much your machine is costing you so you can accurately transfer that cost onto the customer and be profitable. Because that is the purpose of business. And without knowing your costs, you have no way to figure profit

/ What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #42  
I’ve also figured a rough cost per hour and came up with a similar number! 15 to $20 per hour. The longer you keep the tractor the lower the number will go assuming no major breakdowns.

In my area I’m sure I could make money selling firewood if my time is worth about $5 an hour. It just doesn’t pay well.

Last edited:
   / What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #43  
Anyone care to calculate the real cost per pound of Venison?

/ What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #44  
I think simple quick estimate of my tractor starts with the cost to get to 400 hr service. UDT2 = 110 per pale x 3 = $330 x .8 (12 gal, not 15) = 264 + filter $70 = $334 + engine oil $80 = $414 + Engine oil filter $40 = $455 Front axle lub $25 + fuel strainer $20 + fuel filter $40 + estimated pro rated battery cost maybe $30 + estimated fuel ($2 per hour x 400) $800= $1345 + tax on parts and lub $46 = $1391 / 400 = about $3.50 per hour of operating cost.

Then I would not even attempt to estimate resale value - depends too much on years, hours, maintenance, location, abuse, and selling market (Like now). And I might also add, is selling firewood the ONLY purpose and use of the tractor. If not, add in the benefit of having the tractor for other uses. Is the tractor being used as a convience or side work of firewood, meaning is this for "extra money or income" or the sole use of the tractor.

On another note, some states require cut wood be sold in/for only where it is cut, or be treated or heated because of insects.
I am not sure if a tractor is needed for a firewood operation. Or best machine for that. A tractor is a machine that is an excellent Utility machine for SO many purposes. Not sure it would best fit here, but may be convenient.

Last edited:
   / What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #45  
I don't know, but I think I could buy a big bucket of porterhouse steaks for the cost of a pound of Venison.

/ What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #46  
$210 for license, $60 for butchering up to a 50# deer, 1 bullet, 3 pellets of powder, 1 primer - Call it $272 - $5.44/lb.

If I were a resident of Virginia, the license cost would drop to $35. Then the cost per lb would be $1.94.

If I filled my tag and took 6 deer, then the license cost/6, butchering cost*6, let's figure I would have a shot or two more than 6... should be about $1.95/lb for the out of state hunter. In state, it would be about $1.37/lb.

Conclusion? I should fill my tag but my wife and I do not need 300# of venison. 50# lasts us most of the year.

Obviously I am not including the cost of my muzzleloader.. that would have to be amortized over the number of useful seasons. How many seasons should I use? I expect 20 or more - should I live so long!

/ What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #47  
I was thinking about the cost of the SxS or ATV for hunting - cost per pound.

/ What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #48  

I was thinking about the cost of the SxS or ATV for hunting - cost per pound.
Plus Rifle, Scope, Tower Stands(s), Food Plot Costs, etc. Not saying it's a bad thing, just something we don't itemize for the Missus.

/ What does your Tractor cost you per hour of operation. #50  
Your estimate for cost of ownership per hour should not be based on trade in value... It should be based on tax depreciated value. Theres a couple of ways to do it and each has its advantages and impacts on the value.
Only if you have a business that can depreciate the purchase price.

A firewood business would qualify, but a homeowner likely wouldn’t.