What does MBL mean?

/ What does MBL mean? #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
On our survey we have a road and there is a 50 foot MBL that follows the road.

I USED to know what MBL stood for but I can't remember. I have tried some web searches but no luck!

What does it mean?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
Dan

/ What does MBL mean? #2  
meander boundary line. It follows the as-build road centerline or an offset to same.

Probably. We see that with rivers too.

/ What does MBL mean?
HighBeam,

THANKS! That rings a bell.

Let me throw this out. Our lots extend into the road so that half of the road is owned by the lot on the east side and the lot on the west side owns the other half.

The survey shows the MBL extending 50 feet from the center line.

There are also "corner" pipes that seems to follow the MBL by some distance but it sure ain't 50 feet.

Well I just looked at the survey and from the centerline to the pipes is 30 feet give or take.

Now the county has reduced our lot sizes. Yes reduced them. It looks like they are taking the platted size and subtracting out the road area from the lots.

We have setbacks, I think they are 30 feet, from the lot lines. So where in the heck is the lot line if its no longer the centerline of the road? The "corner" pipes that are 30 feet from the center line?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ What does MBL mean? #4  
This is probably what they consider their "Right of Way" I have had an argument for several years with the city, they say their "Right of Way" extends in 15' from the curb. This includes the sidewalk, and they have a ordenance that the sidewalk must be shoveled after a snow. I tell them if they say it's theirs they have to shovel it. So far I'm not having much success.

/ What does MBL mean? #5  
I used to work for my FIL who was (retired now) a civil engineer here in PA. Deed descriptions always used the center line of the road as a property boundary. We also indicated what the road right of way was. On many suburban and rural properties, the paved portion of the road seldom went completely to the ROW.

In the field, we typically placed large head nails with folded plastic tape under the head on the roadway centerline and then placed offset stakes at the ROW.

Keep in mind that while you own (the city, county or state doesn't own it) to the property line, you obviously can not use (build up to, for example) to the centerline, or any other property boundary due to either ROW or setback restrictions. Using the centerline of the road makes property descriptions consistent and not subject to different road widths.

/ What does MBL mean?
Mike,

When you said, "...hen placed offset stakes at the ROW. " the light bulb at least came on a bit. I think the "corner" stakes are the corners of the lots with the ROW.

So building anything within the 30 foot buffer to the ROW is not allowed. Or to put it another way, the ROW is the start of the line for the 30 foot setback.

Later,
Dan

/ What does MBL mean? #7  
Setbacks for building are done a couple of different ways. In my city, the setback is from the property line and not an easement. The property line and the edge of the ROW are the same. You don't own the ROW it is a seperate parcel. If you do indeed own the land to the roadway centerline then the road sits on an easement of a particular width. In our city, that particular width is counted towards your building setback. In cases where the setback is smaller than the easement, the easement language prevents construction within the easement but you can build right up to that line.

/ What does MBL mean? #8  
<font color="blue"> So building anything within the 30 foot buffer to the ROW is not allowed. Or to put it another way, the ROW is the start of the line for the 30 foot setback. </font>
I know you're not allowed to build in the ROW since the road could, some day, get that wide. So I'd assume that the setback starts at the ROW, but I'd check with your local authorities to be sure.

In my area, before you build you have to submit a plot plan showing the property lines, setbacks and where your building will be located, then one of the inspections is to verify you located the building where your plan indicated.

/ What does MBL mean?
This was getting complicated so I called the Town Planner again.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

We own the land that goes to the centerline of the road. The corner pins are about 30' from the centerline of the road. On the survey this is also the ROW.

Our setbacks are 30 feet. So in theory we could build a fence right on the along the 30 foot ROW line.

So says the planner. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We are also on a private road but that does not matter according to said planner.

Later,
Dan

/ What does MBL mean? #10  
You are correct with the right of way and the setbacks but I'm not too sure what the MBL line is. There shouldn't be a meander line unless the road is a real screwy shape. I don't think I've ever used one to define a road before, but I suppose I would if it was a very rural trail or something.