What do you think of this kind of building?

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #21  
This type of shed construction is common here in Australia, so much so people are now building houses with the technique. I recently put one up on a 10.5mx10.5m concrete slab and it'll never move or fall down. Whacking it with my caravan is a whole other story. Temperature wise they can be a problem but here we generally put vents in the top to let the heat out. Obviously there is not much of a snow issue here but year before last we for a full 2cm and it withstood that without issue :)

That's impressive! :laughing:

I'm very reluctant to build anything that even comes close to requiring snow removal. I already take some snow off the house roof now and then, that's plenty. I'm not getting any younger.

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #22  
We're at a meter on the ground in some places on my land up North.

5-7' frost depth this year in places. Septic lines froze solid.

I'm not building anything that can trap snow, and I'm making sure shed snow (off the roof) is dropped somewhere which isn't intended as a path. I had to chisel my way into the cabin last month. I couldn't open the door wide enough to enter without doing so due to the roof's snow being deposited on the stoop.

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #23  
BHD, I put up two carports to park equipment under.
I also installed the screw anchors which I would advise anyone to do no matter where you are.
It doesn't take much to lift these up and they are so light.

I thought about closing in the sides but was worried about the wind loading and if the structure would hold up in high winds.

Mine have up through two winters now. As far as the directions of the roof panels and drainage, I agree they will hold more snow when horizontal which is how mine are. We have not had any huge snows here since I got them, I think 12 inches was the most in the past 2 winters. I don't knowmhow they will do with 20 or 30 inches but some day we'll see. It only costs a little more to have the roof run vertically,so might be worth it out your way where you probably see more snow than I do.

Would I buy again? Yes, for I want it for I could not have put up any other type of structure for the same money. 18'x21' for $895 (base price) installed. I got mine 2 feet higher than standard so I could get both tractors under there side by side. Anchors were $25 @ but well worth it. Upgrade to 12 GA steel also.

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #24  
My parents have the carport (without the sides) it still looks good after 15 years. Only problem is that they do sweat on the underside and when the paint starts to chalk up the sweat drops will stain. I fixed that with a 2 inch coating of spray foam that had the added benefit of really eliminating the radiant heat in the summer.

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #25  
We're at a meter on the ground in some places on my land up North.

5-7' frost depth this year in places. Septic lines froze solid.

I'm not building anything that can trap snow, and I'm making sure shed snow (off the roof) is dropped somewhere which isn't intended as a path. I had to chisel my way into the cabin last month. I couldn't open the door wide enough to enter without doing so due to the roof's snow being deposited on the stoop.

With some planning, a lot of useless labor can be designed out of life. There is a practical side to it, the less physical work I have to do here means I can stay out of condominium land longer (thinking optimistically :)).

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #26  
My parents have the carport (without the sides) it still looks good after 15 years. Only problem is that they do sweat on the underside and when the paint starts to chalk up the sweat drops will stain. I fixed that with a 2 inch coating of spray foam that had the added benefit of really eliminating the radiant heat in the summer.

i like that idea. did you apply the foam insulation yourself?

IMAG1208.jpg IMAG1212.jpg IMAG1213.jpg

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #27  
On ytmag a poster had one that ripped out the anchors and blew away in a windstorm. Can't recall if the vehicles inside were damaged. They don't work up here as we get too much snow, they just collapse.

/ What do you think of this kind of building? #28  
On ytmag a poster had one that ripped out the anchors and blew away in a windstorm. Can't recall if the vehicles inside were damaged. They don't work up here as we get too much snow, they just collapse.

Yes, you are right, not a good choice if you live in tornado alley or hurricane territory. Even during windy t-storms I see evidence of uplift on mine.

I've thought of what I might do if a hurricane were approaching. Don't know if I would try to tie the carport down with the equipment inside and if it would then just take it all away. Or if I should just let it go and leave the equipment standing there on its own. Not so worried about the equipment, I'm more worried about the carport flying across the street and injuring someone or damaging someone else's property. Of course where they're located they would have to travel about 100 yards, but that is nothing with 50 mph or higher winds.