What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #311  
So I have a F450 Crew Cab Limited 4x4 with the 6.7 Powerstroke and the 10 speed trans. It was shifting hard and sometimes not at all. Dealer tries replacing the valve body and still no good. Ended up replacing the trans completely .. That was at 15K miles. Truck now has 22500 miles and that extra mileage is from towing a 20K 5th wheel down and back to Fla this past winter..and some empty driving around Fla. So far no problems with the new unit. .. Also just traded our shitbox 2020 4x4 Sprinter van... God that thing was the biggest POS I have ever owned.. But its now replaced with Toyota Tundra Platinum.. So far that truck does everything very good,, but nothing great.
Plumbing contractor has 6 older diesel Sprinter with 5 cyl? Had to be older than 2015 model year.

He said very reliable and good service and the guys like being able to walk inside...

Are all bad?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #312  
One of my Customers has one, lifted, 4WD big camper inside. Looks like a palace on wheels.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #313  
Yeah and hey that’s cool, but Cummins is trusted in 10’s of thousands of farm tractors and lots of large trucks….
…..even Fords ! 😁
I've got nothing against Cummins 👍
I recently got my first one (in an excavator) the dealership just replaced the fuel pump at 980 hours under warranty.
Chit happens.
Edit; I did have the remarkable 4B in a Case SS and a 30KW IR generator years ago.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #314  
Just watched a video this afternoon about Cummins 6.7L launching in 3 versions; gas, diesel, and hydrogen. Same block, different top end. No word specifically on Cummins gas being offered with dodge/ram specifically, but targeting busses, local medium duty trucks, ect.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #315  
   / What do you drive for a truck? #316  
Plumbing contractor has 6 older diesel Sprinter with 5 cyl? Had to be older than 2015 model year.

He said very reliable and good service and the guys like being able to walk inside...

Are all bad?
I have had 3 of them.. First 2 rusted in less than 2 years.. This is not uncommon for those trucks...and its a quality control...or lack there of issue.. The last one was a new body style VS30... Those trucks as a whole are awful ... More widespread problems than I can type..

/ What do you drive for a truck? #317  
I have a second gen tacoma prerunner 6 cylinder that I haul heavy loads with regularly, 245,000 miles. I also have a 2007 GMC 3500 dump truck 6.0 gas with 55,000 miles.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #318  
IMO, there’s 2 or 3 automatic transmissions in HD pickups worth their asking price

Allison, Aisin and the Ram ZF.

You can take the rest and add them to a “basket of deplorables” 🤣

/ What do you drive for a truck? #319  
What's been the problems with the latest Ford 10-speed? I believe they were made as a joint effort between Ford and GM, although there are some slight differences.
The Ford 10-speed has had shifting problems since 2017. Son bought a 2019 that shortly encountered problems with it down-shifting, often at highway speed. Other times it either would not up-shift, or if/when it did it slammed up into the next range.

He took it back to the dealer for repair MANY times with his complaint. Dealer simply said it needed a 'software update'. That was pure BS; that did nothing at all. Buy-back attempts was a waste of breath. Dealer did not want the truck back under any circumstances.

He finally took it to a certified transmission shop who told him that there was no known fix. Only remedy was to replace it, at a cost of around $7K.

It seems that not all Ford 10-speeds have that shifting problem. Some do, some don't. Son's only fix was to trade the 2017 in at a very high loss. I'm in the market for a newer pickup, but not Fords newer than a 2017. In fact, I'd prefer no 10-speeds at all.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #320  
I have had 3 of them.. First 2 rusted in less than 2 years.. This is not uncommon for those trucks...and its a quality control...or lack there of issue.. The last one was a new body style VS30... Those trucks as a whole are awful ... More widespread problems than I can type..
Nothing rusts here in the SF Bay Area… plenty of rust free cars in junk yards because not passing smog check or back fees…

Last edited: