What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft?

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
My old County Line auger's drive shaft is missing the safety cover, and I'm not so sure about the bearings as it went many years without greasing. If I wanted to replace it, what information would I need?

I'm guessing the tractor end of it is pretty standard, at least for Cat 1, right?

The other end I'm not so sure about. How many different kinds of implement ends are there for these?

If I went to TSC without knowing, how likely would I end up with the right thing?

Thanks!

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #2  
The tractor end is almost certainly the 1-3/8" 6-tooth spline but no idea on the other end. Easiest way is to either take photos and measurements or bring it with you when you go to the store.

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #3  
In addition to different implement ends there are various sizes for each type. Many are standard but you need to know which you seek. Drive line length varies with implement being used, too. If you have a local business dealing in agricultural drive lines that's probably a good starting point. Most tractor dealers can help also, especially if you can bring the drive line in. I needed a new driveline for a mower awhile back. My Kubota dealer sold me almost the right driveline but the implement end was the wrong size. It cost me another $100 to get the correct end from a driveline shop.

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #4  
My old County Line auger's drive shaft is missing the safety cover, and I'm not so sure about the bearings as it went many years without greasing. If I wanted to replace it, what information would I need?

I'm guessing the tractor end of it is pretty standard, at least for Cat 1, right?

The other end I'm not so sure about. How many different kinds of implement ends are there for these?

If I went to TSC without knowing, how likely would I end up with the right thing?

Thanks!
My first choice would be to grease it, and see if the universal joints move freely. If so; run it. If the bearings go bad, the u-joints and cap bearings are cheap. If it doesn't free up; I would take the shaft to a place that sells them, and compare; both min and max extended; then price online vs local with that information. Personally, I wouldn't replace the shaft over a cover. Those dang things can get expensive.

Edit: When I say move freely; I also mean extend and retract, as well as the u joints. If it can't extend or compress with the geometry of the 3 point as it lifts/lowers, that will bind things up and damage something.

If your wanting to replace; the tractor side is pretty much standard for the majority of tractors (minus old mini Asian tractor, and large legit field tractors); but the part going unto the gear box side of the auger might be round with a shear bolt; 6 spline; or something else; so that will need to match.

Last edited:
   / What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #5  
Just get a sleeve if you just have to. Ours never had one, ain't one on it now.

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #6  
You can buy the entire PTO driveline complete with safely shields usually for less than putting new cross kits in and buying new shields. Tractor end is easily, you just need to confirm the implement end diameter and type.

Examples for $99 & $145

Personally, I'd grease the current one and run it. Most PTO diggers don't run a lot of hours in gear so lack of grease might not destroy the PTO is quick as something like a bush hog running 8 hours at PTO RPM under load.

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #7  
I just replaced the driveshaft for a fertilizer spreader. You have to be carefull to get the implement end correct, it seems they make 4 or 5 styles. Also make sure you get the correct length, you can always cut it shorter.

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft?
Good advice all -- thank you!

/ What do I need to know to replace PTO drive shaft? #9  
Some of the online places have free shipping including amazon if you have a Prime account.