What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #461  
That horizontal hydraulic tank seems like a poor design choice. I think in some of the discussion I've seen, the reason they need this extension tube is for cases where the machine is on a steep slope and all the fluid moves to the front or back of the tank and the pickup tube doesn't reach it. So how does extending the tube further in one direction fix this? I can see it might fix it for a downward slope but wouldn't it be even worse now for an upward slope? It seems like they need a T fitting and a pickup at both the front and back of the tank.

Or maybe the simplest solution is to just fill the tank so full it doesn't matter.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
That horizontal hydraulic tank seems like a poor design choice. I think in some of the discussion I've seen, the reason they need this extension tube is for cases where the machine is on a steep slope and all the fluid moves to the front or back of the tank and the pickup tube doesn't reach it. So how does extending the tube further in one direction fix this? I can see it might fix it for a downward slope but wouldn't it be even worse now for an upward slope? It seems like they need a T fitting and a pickup at both the front and back of the tank.

Or maybe the simplest solution is to just fill the tank so full it doesn't matter.
The pump supply line enters the hyd tank very low on the rear side. When going downhill, the fluid in the tank moves forward enough to allow the pump to pull air. The extension will move the inlet very close to the center of the tank.

The tank is approximately 12x24" and lays horizontally, causing the problem. Some models have the same tank standing vertically and they have no issue.

When I loaded my L12 on my trailer, no problem, when I unloaded it, I spun the house around so I could see what I was doing. Got halfway down ramp-gate and lost all hydraulics. The site-glass gauge showed full before I loaded it.

I over-filled the tank after dragging it off the ramp. Tracked down to a trail and used it some on slight grades. No issue other than occasional puking fluid all over the machine sometimes. I have some steep grades I need to work on and I want everything working like it should so I ordered the extension. the video above shows the tube and strainer.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #463  
Did that with mine in the dump trailer, only I never got half way!! only just over center an dead. Used a comealong to pull ass end back down and all was fine! LOL!

Did that with mine in the dump trailer, only I never got half way!! only just over center an dead. Used a comealong to pull ass end back down and all was fine! LOL!
Dump trailers sit up pretty high. ramps were probably steeper than I would want to try. Unless maybe your ramps are 8-10 ft long.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #465  
The pump supply line enters the hyd tank very low on the rear side. When going downhill, the fluid in the tank moves forward enough to allow the pump to pull air. The extension will move the inlet very close to the center of the tank.
Yeah, that's right. Filter too far one way or the other, and starvation will happen one way or the other. That is what I was trying to say.

Also, it seems that some units, like those from AgroTK (L12), for some reason elected to have a pickup port on the tank that is not very near the bottom, shared with the large access port, as mine is.

I also keep my tank really full and only have starvation when running low due to leaks. Leaks caused by leaky hoses, and one cyl seal problem.

Yeah, that's right. Filter too far one way or the other, and starvation will happen one way or the other. That is what I was trying to say.

Also, it seems that some units, like those from AgroTK (L12), for some reason elected to have a pickup port on the tank that is not very near the bottom, shared with the large access port, as mine is.

I also keep my tank really full and only have starvation when running low due to leaks. Leaks caused by leaky hoses, and one cyl seal problem.
They probably try to make one tank style fit several different models. The port can't be too near the bottom because the strainer has to screw in the port. If the strainer is 3" in diameter, then the port would need to be about 1-3/4" above the bottom.

Last edited:
20240307_150753.jpgIt's a good day when there is a wooden box waiting on your deck when you get home.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #468  
Dump trailers sit up pretty high. ramps were probably steeper than I would want to try. Unless maybe your ramps are 8-10 ft long.
my ramps are 8 footers. I back the New Holland L-781 up them all the time,---hold your breath and go for it! LOL!!

my ramps are 8 footers. I back the New Holland L-781 up them all the time,---hold your breath and go for it! LOL!!
Your a braver man than I am. Ramps make me nervous:oops:

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #470  
They probably try to make one tank style fit several different models. The port can't be too near the bottom because the strainer has to screw in the port. If the strainer is 3" in diameter, then the port would need to be about 1-3/4" above the bottom.
That is why the design of my tank and filter is so much better. The all-thread rod that holds the strainer onto the tube and the access port cover runs down the middle, so the hose connection is below that on the lid. Very close to bottom of tank.