What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #431  
I've been working on making a crossbar to run between the drive motors to protect them and prevent the housings from bending out like I've seen in a few posts. This is the first metal fab project I've ever done but so far it seems to be going ok. I've got the brackets built and bolted on - now I just have to weld the crossbar between them. I've attached some pictures of the project so far.

Attachments

• 20240302_115455.jpg
    20240302_115455.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 20240302_115507.jpg
    20240302_115507.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 20240302_122243.jpg
    20240302_122243.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 20240302_122234.jpg
    20240302_122234.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
   / What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #432  
I've got the brackets built and bolted on - now I just have to weld the crossbar between them. I've attached some pictures of the project so far.
Don't forget to integrate some hose protection into your design. Looks good.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
I've been working on making a crossbar to run between the drive motors to protect them and prevent the housings from bending out like I've seen in a few posts. This is the first metal fab project I've ever done but so far it seems to be going ok. I've got the brackets built and bolted on - now I just have to weld the crossbar between them. I've attached some pictures of the project so far.
Looks good.. How did you get the holes marked in the right spot before you drilled them?
Did you measure and mark them, or did you have a template?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #434  
How did you get the holes marked in the right spot before you drilled them?
Did you measure and mark them, or did you have a template?

I made a template with a heavy piece of cardboard. I was actually pretty surprised when the holes lined up - I was figuring I'd end up having to hog them out. I took it off to do the bulk of the welding and paint. I'll post another picture when I get it mounted back up.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #435  
I might have to do that too! Great idea!!

I made a template with a heavy piece of cardboard. I was actually pretty surprised when the holes lined up - I was figuring I'd end up having to hog them out. I took it off to do the bulk of the welding and paint. I'll post another picture when I get it mounted back up.
Thanks for posting, this will help a lot of us. (y)

Between the bosses behind the bolts is 20 1/2 to 20 3/4 as near as I can measure on mine.
I tried to make a yellow line to show the points to measure from. This is same on the front side as the back.
Finally got around to measuring the track motor mount rails, I am 20 3/4, so both yours and mine are still straight. Thanks again!

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #438  
Ya 20 3/4 is closer on this one too, --- hard to measure with tape measure in 45 mph wind but I checked again yesterday and they are 20 3/4 for sure.

Ya 20 3/4 is closer on this one too, --- hard to measure with tape measure in 45 mph wind but I checked again yesterday and they are 20 3/4 for sure.
Thanks for verifying. I didn't want to make up a reinforcing bracket until I made sure it's not already bent a little.
Have you ordered a hydraulic tube extension that the L12 needs?
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
   / What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #440  
Wasnt aware of a tube. Where do you have to get them from?