What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
I know which one I would pick. The dozer would be handy in some situations, but I get a lot of use out of the L12. I really wish I had bought a mini-X years ago.

Seat belt.
Absolutely seat belt. Mine didn't come with a seat belt so I am going to install one. That vid reminded me to get a seat belt now..

The temptation is to assume these mini ex's aren't much more dangerous than a lawn mower because they are only 13.5hp, but 2,000 lbs is 2,000 lbs. The available hydraulic power to lift an impressive amount of weight on a 36" wide machine could get someone in trouble quickly, especially if it's a long log being moved over uneven terrain.

FWIW, I priced a basic Struck mini dozer kit without an engine, unpainted, v-belt transmission system, steel tracks, and all manual lift without any hydraulic power delivered to my house for $5,255 in October, 2023. For $5,990 plus delivery, my local tractor dealer will sell me a fully assembled and painted L12 with 13.5 hp engine, hydraulic drive/lift system, that has a digging bucket, manual thumb, and a small dozing blade on rubber tracks.
Before you buy a L12, let me know and I will try to get my list of things I don't like about mine. Information is the key to getting a model that makes you happy.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #124  
Thank you for your kind offer.

I was looking at the mini dozer because I have an area filled with thorn trees I'd like to clear. The miniX would be a better choice IMO because I could pickup sections of the thorn trees and move them into a pile without dragging or pushing them on the ground where thorns will break off into the soil. It would be a plus to be able to fully rotate around the axis of the machine. I can't do that on my Terramite backhoe, and I'd get one flat after another with the rubber tires.

I had looked at mini skid steers like the Vermeer or Dingo, and those things used with 1,000 hours are $15,000 plus around here and I'd have to pay for a grapple, too. And a mini-x would do better at trenching and digging holes when needed.

Its good you are thinking it thru.. I can see how tempting it would be to buy the mini dozer.

Good video. I am glad GarageCon has responded to my comments on Utube. I am the "gentleman" he refers to, suggesting he does not want to run fans like he did. Those fans are 80W each, or about 6.5 Amperes.
Cam Sweet has another video now. Good info on Hydraulics. Do you agree with his temperature analysis?[MEDIA

Thank you for your kind offer.

I was looking at the mini dozer because I have an area filled with thorn trees I'd like to clear. The miniX would be a better choice IMO because I could pickup sections of the thorn trees and move them into a pile without dragging or pushing them on the ground where thorns will break off into the soil. It would be a plus to be able to fully rotate around the axis of the machine. I can't do that on my Terramite backhoe, and I'd get one flat after another with the rubber tires.

I had looked at mini skid steers like the Vermeer or Dingo, and those things used with 1,000 hours are $15,000 plus around here and I'd have to pay for a grapple, too. And a mini-x would do better at trenching and digging holes when needed.
The video I just posted above is on a H12. It may give you an insight on the model and help with the decision. I looked through the AGT lineup today and the L12 is still my pick for 1-ton under $8000.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #128  
Cam Sweet has another video now. Good info on Hydraulics. Do you agree with his temperature analysis?[MEDIA
I have not heard those particular numbers on degradation of hyd fluid with higher temps. He calls out 140F (60C) as recommended max temp. I usually try not to exceed 50C, and I watch it closely. I suppose the rate of degradation with temp is commonly known, but have not looked it up. Probably differs with fluid you use: ATF, AW 32, AW 46, THF, etc. I use THF since I buy that for tractors.

He erred in 2 places I saw on his video: the spool valve stack is open center (tandem center), not closed center, as he says. 2nd, he says there are no hyd filters in his machine. Most, if not all makers of these minis put a suction filter screen in the bottom of the hyd tank. The only way to tell for sure is to look. I am glad he is advising the installation of a return filter.

I suspect he has not looked for or seen my video that shows actually taking an RV pressure measurement. Mine was set properly, but most are too low.

I have not heard those particular numbers on degradation of hyd fluid with higher temps. He calls out 140F (60C) as recommended max temp. I usually try not to exceed 50C, and I watch it closely. I suppose the rate of degradation with temp is commonly known, but have not looked it up. Probably differs with fluid you use: ATF, AW 32, AW 46, THF, etc. I use THF since I buy that for tractors.

He erred in 2 places I saw on his video: the spool valve stack is open center (tandem center), not closed center, as he says. 2nd, he says there are no hyd filters in his machine. Most, if not all makers of these minis put a suction filter screen in the bottom of the hyd tank. The only way to tell for sure is to look. I am glad he is advising the installation of a return filter.

I suspect he has not looked for or seen my video that shows actually taking an RV pressure measurement. Mine was set properly, but most are too low.
I was thinking of going with aw46 for around 50 hours and then THF since I also use it in my tractor. Is the THF overkill for the baby-X. Last time I bought it I think it was about 3x the price of AW 46.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #130  
I was thinking of going with aw46 for around 50 hours and then THF since I also use it in my tractor. Is the THF overkill for the baby-X. Last time I bought it I think it was about 3x the price of AW 46.
Yeah, aw46 or 32 is cheap, and you don't really need anything special (no wet brakes, no HST). But I buy bulk in 5-gallon refillable pails, and I get Service Pro THF from an oil disti. I might save just a few dollars with aw46, assuming I buy 5 gallons.

You might consider the cheap stuff they have at TSC. Walmart oil is no bargain. I think NAPA auto has oils at a reasonable price, too.