What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
good info on the Briggs charging system. If I included the link correctly. :rolleyes:

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #102  
The pdf link is this one. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/c...tratton/na/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_id.pdf

There is several listed for the same model of engine so it looks like you need to match the parts. I will say that whether 3a or 10a none of them are really sufficient to run much accessories.
The only things that I want to add is another light or two and possibly a cooling fan if needed after the install of the ductwork and muffler heat shield. Am I correct in thinking 10 amps is only 120 watts?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #104  
you actually have to measure what the unit is pulling, amp ratings are a joke, they usually pull half of the rated,so do lights,

if you don't have an amp meter buy one, or just watch the voltage as you turn on accessories and make sure it stays above 13v, UNDERSTAND those amp ratings are at full throttle, not idle or half throttle, i know alot of guys are big fans of running just above 1500 rpm, not going to cut it if you need every drop of power from the alternator.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #105  
The only things that I want to add is another light or two and possibly a cooling fan if needed after the install of the ductwork and muffler heat shield. Am I correct in thinking 10 amps is only 120 watts?
Yes, W=VA. I do not know how much the engine needs of that alternator amperage to fire the spark plug so that would reduce the total amount. The hour meter is probably a very low amount of draw.

Yes, W=VA. I do not know how much the engine needs of that alternator amperage to fire the spark plug so that would reduce the total amount. The hour meter is probably a very low amount of draw.
It should not need any voltage to fire as it is magneto system, unless they have changed them recently. 120 w is not much to work with but it can be done, I think. :oops:

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #107  
It should not need any voltage to fire as it is magneto system, unless they have changed them recently. 120 w is not much to work with but it can be done, I think. :oops:
The magneto is also where they pull the battery voltage from. So I do not know if the alternator amp rating B&S uses is for everything or not.

This is hard to watch. Sometimes we need a reminder how easy it is to get hurt. Lets all be a little safer this year and have a Happy 2024! Please don't watch if you are easily upset.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #109  
good info on the Briggs charging system.

Good video. I am glad GarageCon has responded to my comments on Utube. I am the "gentleman" he refers to, suggesting he does not want to run fans like he did. Those fans are 80W each, or about 6.5 Amperes. They would not work even if he did have a 10A alternator. I would love to have even one of those fans on my mini.

The Breaks & Scrapum photo is very helpful. My Chonda has only one of those charge coils (upper left of photo). B&S officially offers 3A and 10A on their product website, but it seems there are more options, as stated. (no coil, one coil, 2 coils, giant stator, super-duper stator, maybe more).

Anyone who takes their flywheel off should install a good stator. They are cheap. I plan to do that if I take out my engine in coming years.

I woulda responded to GarageCon with photos but Utube does not allow that. Go, TBN.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #110  
It should not need any voltage to fire as it is magneto system, unless they have changed them recently. 120 w is not much to work with but it can be done,

Yeah these thumpers run a simple, self-exciting electronic ignition, all contained in the coil housing next to the flywheel. The charge system charges the battery. All lights and fans and instruments run off the battery. When you get to the small twin engines, some run more complex ignitions that require 12V from the battery.

I would love 120W of power. Worklight is about 12W, a decent fan would be 80W, and a few instruments would be another 20W.