What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
What was the temperature when you fired it up and did the hydraulic system squawk about it? I fired mine up this past Saturday at about 15 degrees fahrenheit and it was not happy... My bypass valve up in the manifold was making an ugly whirring sound until it warmed up a little.
It was about 33f. snow was starting to melt. everything sounded fine on startup. completely normal.
I will try mine on the next cold spell and see how it does. I am sure that we will get more temps down in single digits like we had a few days ago.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #272  
You'd want the hydraulic system warmed up before doing any hard work.

We just went through a week of 0 temps. I decided it wasn't worth it to work outside until things warmed back up a bit, especially after having my feet slide out from under me on a snowy slope. Relieved nothing broke.

Glad you were not hurt. Sometimes the ground feels like concrete at those temps when you land.
Maybe the snow softened the impact. Did you buy a baby-X yet??

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #274  
The only thing that softened the blow was landing on my behind.

Haven't bought anything yet.

The only thing that softened the blow was landing on my behind.

Haven't bought anything yet.
I would consider the DJ14,. not sure if the boom cylinder on top will reduce lifting ability enough to be a concern? Nice looking machine with several improvements over other models. And the engine exhaust goes thru a hole in the counterweight!
20240123_162117.jpg

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #277  
I would consider the DJ14,. not sure if the boom cylinder on top will reduce lifting ability enough to be a concern?
You will lift a lot less weight, but it should dig deeper. 5.5' dig depth is pretty wimpy. If AGT upgraded the depth spec, that would be good.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #278  
I appreciate the suggestions, but could I say that I'm frustrated with the lack of information (IMO) on their website?

The thing that frustrates me is I don't see enough information to begin to understand how a DJ14 differs from a L12 and why I should spend more? If it had a hydraulic filter and cooling already built in maybe it's worth considering, but with them not clearly showing me how one product differs from the next one, I don't know which one I'd buy.

It's also a huge turn off when they list a B&S engine for $1500 when Harbor Freight sells a pretty good 13 hp engine for $380.

I'm sure you guys have figured out the differences, but I'd like to understand what I'm supposed to be getting when I spend $6,000 or more. But I feel like they are presenting their products in a way that leaves me guessing what they are.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #279  
I appreciate the suggestions, but could I say that I'm frustrated with the lack of information (IMO) on their website?

The thing that frustrates me is I don't see enough information to begin to understand how a DJ14 differs from a L12 and why I should spend more? If it had a hydraulic filter and cooling already built in maybe it's worth considering, but with them not clearly showing me how one product differs from the next one, I don't know which one I'd buy.

It's also a huge turn off when they list a B&S engine for $1500 when Harbor Freight sells a pretty good 13 hp engine for $380.

I'm sure you guys have figured out the differences, but I'd like to understand what I'm supposed to be getting when I spend $6,000 or more. But I feel like they are presenting their products in a way that leaves me guessing what they are.
I have noticed that also. The machine numbers change based on sometimes minor changes in metal work or placement of items such as hydraulic oil tank. About all I could suggest is either view a particular model (Internet reviews-Forums such as this one, or see if someone has it to tell you about it) or call and ask. One thing to keep in mind is machine weight. The 1-Tons that are 850kg are quite different than those that are 1000kg (metric ton).

One thing I have liked about the Typhons is they seem to always use metric ton in their description. If it says 2.5 ton it is 2500kg or 5510lbs.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #280  

Are you kidding? I don't see good data, or trust what the seller puts in their advertising docs. That's one of the reasons I am always asking for first hand reporting by someone who actually has one of these machines AND opens it up to see what's inside.

Can't even get reliable weight specs from the makers/sellers......

Last edited: