What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #151  
I think one issue with trying to adapt a 4 cycle engine mower will be oil starvation. I remember the 2 cycle mowers, but haven't seen one in years. I'm not sure where you'd even find a 2 cycle engine to adapt other than a chainsaw or weed wacker these days.

Also, not sure that any electric mower is really suited to this although I shouldn't be too hasty in dismissing the idea if you were just going to cut lawn type grass in a ditch or something similar that doesn't involve heavy brush cutting.

It would be possible to adapt an electric pole hedge trimmer to use for cutting ditches because it's power efficient, has a decent cutting width, and the blade will cut smaller woody material without throwing so much at the operator. I suspect one of the issues would be bending the shaft if you weren't really careful. The pole hedge trimmer attachments aren't expensive to buy new even if you bent the shaft, however.

This is what I have used to cut briar patches down with a 40v Hart weed whacker. https://www.amazon.com/SUNSEEKER-Attachment-Universal-Articulating-Material/dp/B079KKQGNH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=257Y1MMCY62BU&keywords=pole%2Bhedge%2Btrimmer%2Battachment&qid=1704561662&sprefix=pole%2Bhedge%2Btrimmer%2Battach%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-3&th=1

Also handy for trimming shrubs.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #152  
My first real use for my mini X since I got it. I used the front blade to break up ice on the driveway so I could clear it. In past years this has been an all day affair but with the mini it was only a little over an hour.
1000006156.jpg
1000006161.jpg

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #153  
Does your cab have heat and air, too? I'm guessing heat from the engine keeps the cab toasty in winter?

The weed wacker cutting attachment I have been using to not only cut but mulch honeysuckle and briars is this Oregon mulching brushcutter blade. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-29550...sprefix=oregon+brush+cutt,aps,112&sr=8-3&th=1

The hedge trimmer will cut briars, but this 12 5/16" wide Oregon blade will actually mulch them into much smaller pieces. I have only used it on my gas unit because the blade is heavy and takes a bit to actually spin up. Once spinning, it doesn't tend to slow while mulching. The cutting wings will throw debris. It is very important to wear a face shield and other protective gear. In my experience, the cutting wings will throw hard woody material when it starts to get about the diameter of my finger. There's a point where I don't try to cut saplings--but it excels at briar cutting, IMO.

The Oregon has a 1" arbor, but comes with a 20mm adapter. I've wondered if it would be easier to try to adapt an electric weed wacker, an electric mower or if the mini X hydraulics would be enough to power a smaller cutter like the Oregon?
brush cutter.JPG

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today?
Does your cab have heat and air, too? I'm guessing heat from the engine keeps the cab toasty in winter?

The weed wacker cutting attachment I have been using to not only cut but mulch honeysuckle and briars is this Oregon mulching brushcutter blade. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-295504-0-Universal-Brushcutter-Husqvarna/dp/B00RZH0V4G/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1O2UOFDRGRZT9&keywords=oregon+brush+cutter+blade&qid=1704563545&sprefix=oregon+brush+cutt,aps,112&sr=8-3&th=1

The hedge trimmer will cut briars, but this 12 5/16" wide Oregon blade will actually mulch them into much smaller pieces. I have only used it on my gas unit because the blade is heavy and takes a bit to actually spin up. Once spinning, it doesn't tend to slow while mulching. The cutting wings will throw debris. It is very important to wear a face shield and other protective gear. In my experience, the cutting wings will throw hard woody material when it starts to get about the diameter of my finger. There's a point where I don't try to cut saplings--but it excels at briar cutting, IMO.

The Oregon has a 1" arbor, but comes with a 20mm adapter. I've wondered if it would be easier to try to adapt an electric weed wacker, an electric mower or if the mini X hydraulics would be enough to power a smaller cutter like the Oregon?
View attachment 842776
If everyone keeps brainstorming like this, we just may come up with a solution!.. Keep thinking.!

My first real use for my mini X since I got it. I used the front blade to break up ice on the driveway so I could clear it. In past years this has been an all day affair but with the mini it was only a little over an hour.View attachment 842772View attachment 842774
Very nice machine. I bet you are loving the cab. I wish I had gotten one, I was concerned that it may prevent me from accessing a few things easily. But now I really could use a warm dry cab. Its cold and snowy here today.

The weed wacker cutting attachment I have been using to not only cut but mulch honeysuckle and briars is this Oregon mulching brushcutter blade. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-295504-0-Universal-Brushcutter-Husqvarna/dp/B00RZH0V4G/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1O2UOFDRGRZT9&keywords=oregon+brush+cutter+blade&qid=1704563545&sprefix=oregon+brush+cutt,aps,112&sr=8-3&th=1

View attachment 842776
Does anyone recall the 120v push mowers that were around 30 years ago? Never used one but I bet they had enough power to do what I want. I can make a quick attach basket for my blade and sit a generator on it.. not a perfect setup but would really help me with trail maintenance.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #157  
They still make 120v corded mowers. Never used one.

Tried to look up the mounting hole size for the Ryobi mower blade. They don't make it so easy, but I found a Q & A that it is .882 which is different than the 1 inch hole on the Oregon brush blade and different than the 20mm adapter that comes with it to adapt it to a weed wacker head. I haven't flipped the Ryobi mower over yet to actually check to see if the brush blade could be adapted to it. I'm guessing the mower motor has more power than the electric weed wacker, but don't really know for sure.

/ What did you do with your Chinese baby digger today? #158  
Does anyone recall the 120v push mowers that were around 30 years ago? Never used one but I bet they had enough power to do what I want. I can make a quick attach basket for my blade and sit a generator on it.. not a perfect setup but would really help me with trail maintenance.
Check your local Craigs or MP. Many newer corded AC electric push mowers for sale around here, cheap. Battery power has gotten much better just in the past few years.

If you had one, it would probably take a 5000W generator to put out enough starting current.

Check your local Craigs or MP. Many newer corded AC electric push mowers for sale around here, cheap. Battery power has gotten much better just in the past few years.

If you had one, it would probably take a 5000W generator to put out enough starting current.
I have 3 maybe 4 generators. I think smallest is a 3500, and should have maybe 4500 or so starting watts. was hoping the smaller gen would handle it. I have no idea how many amps one of those would need, 15? Years ago people gave them away. If I make one, I want enough power to cut the multi- flora- rose that grows along the trails. That stuff is awful, It grows so fast. It would be great if battery power would do the job, but I am skeptical about that.

They still make 120v corded mowers. Never used one.

Tried to look up the mounting hole size for the Ryobi mower blade. They don't make it so easy, but I found a Q & A that it is .882 which is different than the 1 inch hole on the Oregon brush blade and different than the 20mm adapter that comes with it to adapt it to a weed wacker head. I haven't flipped the Ryobi mower over yet to actually check to see if the brush blade could be adapted to it. I'm guessing the mower motor has more power than the electric weed wacker, but don't really know for sure.
The 120v mowers I remember had a large motor, that would produce signifant power. maybe 4x that of a weedwacker.

I am also thinking about an edger as a possible bushwacker.