What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today?

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,861  
I actually reached out to BXPanded a few months ago about this project. They were very helpful, but their largest tooth is way too small. These rippers are meant for very small backhoes. I also reached out to TRK, here is their response:

"I am sorry we are going to have to decline to quote.
Our Stump & Root Rippers start for excavators that are at least 8 Tons.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks

Lise
TRK Attachments Inc.
phone: 905-641-9981
site: www.trkattachments.com
address: 19 Yale Cres., St. Catharines, ON L2R 2Y6"

Apparently, theirs's is too big! Least they think they are. Looking at their photos, seems like it would be a good fit. But, meh.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,862  
I actually reached out to BXPanded a few months ago about this project. They were very helpful, but their largest tooth is way too small. These rippers are meant for very small backhoes. I also reached out to TRK, here is their response:

Thanks

Lise
TRK Attachments Inc.

Apparently, theirs's is too big! Least they think they are. Looking at their photos, seems like it would be a good fit. But, meh.

That's disappointing for you. Thanks for bringing it here on the thread though, even though I couldn't help you, I now have some ideas for future purchases that would make me a lot more productive!

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,863  

Thanks

Lise
TRK Attachments Inc.

Have you looked at a pto stump grinder at all?

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,864  
I'll let him answer for himself, but I'd expect it's a similar reason to myself: I need to get the whole stump and as much of roots out as possible for multiple foundations and tillage.

I knew I needed a backhoe for most of my tasks and while I could benefit from a stump grinder for some jobs I planned on just sticking with the backhoe since I already have it.

This is why I was intrigued by what Avenger said when he mentioned the ripper because if I can make or modify one, it's a LOT cheaper than buying a stump grinder.

I'm not answering for him, but that's why I am not considering a stump grinder at the moment.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,865  
Took my LS M125 on a 550 mile ride from the Oregon Coast to the Idaho panhandle Memorial weekend to prep the floor of a 24' X 24' attached garage for concrete. Scratched up and removed about 6 inches crushed rock (11 yards) and excavated the front for an apron/walk/trench drain. Did the pour last weekend... but that's another post.

20210508_171958_resized_1.jpgP1190523.JPG20210506_190307_resized.jpg

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,866  
After I was done excavating I returned the SCUT to Oregon and came back to my Idaho house last week for the pour. My concrete finishers had all set up and we had trucks in on Saturday for a successful pour. I'll let it set up for a few weeks and bring the tractor back over to re-contour the driveway and start groundwork on a 24' X 20' pole barn (tractor shed) for equipment. Plan is for retirement and a move next spring.

20210528_152426_resized.jpg20210617_122109_resized.jpg20210619_092402_resized.jpg20210619_114434_resized_1.jpg20210619_114439_resized.jpg20210619_133208_resized.jpg20210620_074642_resized.jpg20210620_074822_resized.jpg

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,867  
Have you looked at a pto stump grinder at all?
Yes, I have considered it. But like Stowed said, I'll need all, or the majority, of the roots removed. Here is my thought process on the whole stump removal project.

We logged the property a few years ago. I knew I'd be left with stumps, and I planned on using some of the money made from the timber to purchase something to remove those stumps. I wanted a stump grinder or a backhoe. A backhoe was around $10K while a stump grinder was around $5K. However, there is more utility in a backhoe, plus the ability to remove the entire stump and roots. I can also use the BH to dig holes, trenches, etc., while a stump grinder is a unitasker. I could sell the stump grinder when I was finished, and it would be faster at removing the stumps. I was leaning towards a grinder. That is, until I found a used backhoe on consignment at the local dealer, for $4k. That made my decision easy.

After spending many hours on the backhoe, digging the stumps out the best I could, using a 24" bucket is a nightmare. I have only removed about 20 of the 100's of stumps. There must be a better way! I'm exploring a ripper tooth.

I wouldnt be opposed to a stump grinder. For many of the stumps, the entire thing doesnt need to be gone. But be down below tilling depth, maybe 8". That is doable with a grinder, but now that I have a BH, wasting money on a grinder doesnt compute.

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,868  
You could check out a device called a stump auger,
my nephew has one for his skid steer it does an amazingly good job.
We have a lot of stones here so the stump grinders are always needing teeth replaced.
The stump auger rotates kind of slowly but just eats into the stumps and pulles the pieces up on top of the ground,
no fuss, no muss. No broken teeth, no flying pieces.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=stump+auger+attachment

/ What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today? #1,870  
My nephews was much less then that.
It's an older used one he picked up for under $2000.