What did I BREAK?!?

/ What did I BREAK?!? #1  

LincTex

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 404
I was doing some light shredding with a 48" shredder behind my 2006 3510i

I was in 1000 RPM selection, and running 1300 rpm in 2nd range, 1st gear.

I hit a tree stump in the weeds, and killed the tractor.

I started it back up, but lost BOTH the raise & lower function of the 3-pt... and lost 1000 RPM (the lever won't go down)

I still have 540 PTO, though - - But the lever will NOT slide down into 1000..... and the 3 pt won't go up or down??

I still have full loader function and power steering.
Hyd fluid level is right on the upper line.

What's the first step of disassembly to find what broke?
I've never been inside the rear end of these.

/ What did I BREAK?!? #2  
did the tractor hit the stump or the brush hog hit and stall the tractor,
physical damage to external linkage?

/ What did I BREAK?!?
No, there's absolutely no external damage anywhere on the tractor at all. The tractor drove completely over it, the stump was about 6"-7" inches tall

/ What did I BREAK?!? #4  
Reads like you broke something inside. Time to break out the tools.
Drain the oil and see what metal comes out?

/ What did I BREAK?!? #5  
Just wondering if you're trying to re engage the pto with the brush hog attached, or did you disconnect from it? Maybe it's the gear box in the brush hog that's scattered, and the tractor pto is ok, but just stalling the tractor when you try to engage? And does your brush hog not have a slip clutch? And you can't raise your 3 pt? That is baffling to be sure.

/ What did I BREAK?!? #6  
Don't know if your tractor is the same as my 4720, but if either of the remote hydraulic levers is engaged one way or the other, my three point won't go up or down. I accidentally hit the lever with my arm once and engaged it without realizing. My engine bogged down, the hydraulic system made a whining sound, and my three point wouldn't move. I was terrified that something was broke until I figured it out it was just the remote hydraulics engaged.

/ What did I BREAK?!?
Well.... it feels like a bent shift fork inside. I've always been suspect of the design, because pulling the lever up always felt like it went into 540 "solidly" - but pushing down into 1000 felt like it "barely caught".... but I never paid much mind to it. Even now, if I push down really hard if feels like the teeth are trying to barely grind.

How do I access the PTO shift fork? Through the top, or through the back? Or.....?

/ What did I BREAK?!?
Oh, everything after the PTO is fine. "No PTO" and "540" both are easy to find, which makes me think there's a "separation of the shift linkages" inside for 540 and 1000, just like an old transfer case is set up like.

I really would like to see a decent exploded diagram of how this all works together.

I did notice the 3pt was acting funny ALREADY - - ... before the PTO thing was happening. I think the 3-PT not going up or down is a separate incident or problem, & it was just simply a coincidence - But I still need to fix that problem also! It is NOT the knob under the seat.

/ What did I BREAK?!? #9  
Afternoon,
I have a 180 page PDF parts file for the small Bransons, I found it on a forum one time.
How do we attach a file?