What could be causing shifting difficulties Yanmar YM2310

/ What could be causing shifting difficulties Yanmar YM2310 #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
My Yanmar YM2310 has been hard to shift recently. I was using it for some tilling and I was shifting between crawl, first, and second gear. Before attempting to shift I would make sure the Power Shift lever was in neutral and then I would try to shift the main tranny. And the shifter lever just plain didn't want to go into gear. I would need to fuss with it and sometimes put the tranny into third or fourth gear and then try the lower gears again to enable the machine to go into gear. Because my back is fusing and I cannot bend over as far as I used to I made an extension for the crawl knob so it is very easy to pull all the way up. And still it was quite hard sometimes to get it into gear. I checked the tranny oil level and it is fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Eric

/ What could be causing shifting difficulties Yanmar YM2310 #2  
The gears in these old transmissions have to be lined up in order to change ranges. Sometimes you have to let out on the clutch a tad to line cogs up. However, if this is something new, then maybe somethng else.

/ What could be causing shifting difficulties Yanmar YM2310 #3  
My Yanmar YM2310 has been hard to shift recently. I was using it for some tilling and I was shifting between crawl, first, and second gear. Before attempting to shift I would make sure the Power Shift lever was in neutral and then I would try to shift the main tranny. And the shifter lever just plain didn't want to go into gear. I would need to fuss with it and sometimes put the tranny into third or fourth gear and then try the lower gears again to enable the machine to go into gear. Because my back is fusing and I cannot bend over as far as I used to I made an extension for the crawl knob so it is very easy to pull all the way up. And still it was quite hard sometimes to get it into gear. I checked the tranny oil level and it is fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Eric
Are the oil levels ok? I tend to think of linkage issues first, then enough oil.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. sorry about your back issues.

/ What could be causing shifting difficulties Yanmar YM2310
The gears in these old transmissions have to be lined up in order to change ranges. Sometimes you have to let out on the clutch a tad to line cogs up. However, if this is something new, then maybe somethng else.
This is something new, I shoulda said that in my post. Thanks.
Eric

Are the oil levels ok? I tend to think of linkage issues first, then enough oil.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. sorry about your back issues.
The oil level is OK. I'm wondering if maybe the clutch needs adjusting, if maybe it is dragging just a bit and that keeps the gears from lining up. They did seem to engage roughly, like there was some sort of interference. Thanks for the comment about my back. There's nothing I can do about it. It will most likely just keep fusing itself. Some genetic thing. But I'm lucky, I have a machine shop that I can make things in to make life easier, like a knob extension.
Eric

/ What could be causing shifting difficulties Yanmar YM2310 #6  
The oil level is OK. I'm wondering if maybe the clutch needs adjusting, if maybe it is dragging just a bit and that keeps the gears from lining up. They did seem to engage roughly, like there was some sort of interference. Thanks for the comment about my back. There's nothing I can do about it. It will most likely just keep fusing itself. Some genetic thing. But I'm lucky, I have a machine shop that I can make things in to make life easier, like a knob extension.
Eric
An out of adjustment clutch would certainly have symptoms similar to the ones you describe. How is the pedal travel? Did the symptoms get any better or worse while you were using it?

All the best,

Peter

An out of adjustment clutch would certainly have symptoms similar to the ones you describe. How is the pedal travel? Did the symptoms get any better or worse while you were using it?

All the best,

Peter
Well, as I was using it the symptoms didn't change. But my son was using the tractor a couple days ago. So I asked him a little bit ago if he was using the 1,2, and crawl ranges and he said he had been using them. He said he didn't have any problems shifting. Oh, he liked my knob extension too. So maybe it was just me the other day or maybe my son steps on the clutch better. It could be the latter along with an adjustment issue too. With my back fusing it also seems to affect how my feet work sometimes for some reason. When I first bought the tractor almost 2 years ago the clutch disc was rusted to the flywheel. I drove the tractor from where I bought it to my place with the clutch pedal pressed down and the tractor in the highest gear the whole 2 mile trip. It then took me and my son pressing on the clutch pedal probably hundreds of times before the clutch stopped dragging. It now works very well but I did need to adjust it after it stopped dragging. Maybe it needs adjusting again.
Eric

/ What could be causing shifting difficulties Yanmar YM2310 #8  
As a rusty clutch was my another possible thought, it is good to hear that you have personal experience with one.

If you can get the clutch all the way down, it should work, but sometimes linkages do slip/need adjustment.

Clutches do die, but I would expect more symptoms if yours had died one day to the next.

All the best, Peter

As a rusty clutch was my another possible thought, it is good to hear that you have personal experience with one.

If you can get the clutch all the way down, it should work, but sometimes linkages do slip/need adjustment.

Clutches do die, but I would expect more symptoms if yours had died one day to the next.

All the best, Peter
Yeah, me too. Expect more symptoms that is. In fact the rusty clutch at first was a pain and didn't work that well but after a few months the clutch smoothed out and acted like any other clutch, easy to feather, doesn't grab, etc. But I suppose it could need adjusting so I am gonna do that when I get back from a trip.
Thanks,
Eric