What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it?

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I have a couple plastic shovels around the house. Strapped an old metal shovel to the plow when I went out plowing yesterday. 13 hours in the saddle after the blizzard. Well 12 in the saddle & 1 digging out the machine after finding a hole & landing the machine on a snow plinth.

Shovel was beat up to start with & wasn't up to the task. Ended up in even worse shape. Borrowed a dirt shovel to dig myself out.

You guys carry a spare shovel around when plowing? Snow shovel? Dirt shovel?
20210316_102156.jpg

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #3  
I never take a snow shovel with me. This will be the third year, in a row, have not had to plow snow from my mile long gravel driveway.

Dirt shovel - stick the handle in the FEL crossover tube and hold it there with a bungee. 4" cossover tube just below the number 3 on the FEL.
IMG_0013.jpeg

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #4  
D-handle, square point shovel. I believe the securing clamp is a "Quick Fist" or similar.

shovel.jpg

One of the more gratifying moments for a parent is overhearing your son pass along some wisdom you never thought he absorbed. One Thanksgiving we hosted my son's roommate who was from southern California. I overheard the roommate remark he never had to deal with driving in snow before and that he supposed he should get one of those folding plastic shovels he had seen advertised. My son replied, "Go to Home Depot and buy a steel, short-handled, square shovel. It will fit in your car's trunk and will be strong enough to deal with the slush and ice you will inevitably encounter. The plastic stuff won't last."

Last edited:
   / What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #5  
What is that implement you have behind your Kubota?

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #6  
I don't carry shovels. Not sure what I would use one for.

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #7  
Those Quick Fist Rubber Clamps rock. I use them in lots of locations to hold various tools down.

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #8  
Workinonit--A 78" Lorenz snowblower. I have used the shovel to rotate the chute when it froze up and the hydraulics couldn't turn it, used the handle to clear blockages in the throat of the chute, and most frequently use the shovel to remove compacted snow when I have to replace auger shearpins. It rides on the SB permanently, but many times in the off-season it is the easiest shovel to get to.

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it?
I have some of those Quick Fist clamps holding a dirt shovel in the bed of the truck. Very rarely used but it's nice to have when you do & the Quick Fists work well. I tried to figure where I'd mount them for a few minutes & resorted to the bungee cords on the back blade for my last run.

I often tossed a shovel or similar in the loader cross tube on my property during the summer. Worked until you bounced or turned & the shovel came flying out. How did you keep it from coming out of the tube?

/ What backup shovel do you keep around & how do you carry it? #10  
I just keep using one of my kids cheap square plastic ones to scrape the snow of the blower before I put it back in the garage. I used to have the Quick Fist clamps on the back of my rzr to hold my beaver dam breaking tool (pick axe), but with the addition of the back window, had to take them off. I now may use one to mount on my blower frame to put a shovel. Thanks for the idea.