What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet?

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #11  
I usually till our clay soil that's amended with cut grass 2 or 3 times before planting. Eventually the clods break down.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #13  
I never put grass clippings in the garden because the clippings rob the N from the soil and they stink too. When my wife raised draft horses, I used to use the manure in the garden and then spent the entire growing season pulling weeds. Don't do that anymore. I'll first till it and then broadcast 28 granulated urea and then till it again, let it sit for a week and plant it. This year I'm planting roundup ready sweet corn so any weeds that come up, the roundup will handle. Cou8ple weeks and I'll be spraying my hayfields with DEF. I buy it on sale when expired for cheap and spray it on my alfalfa fields. Just bought a full 350 gallon IBC tote of expired DEf for 100 bucks. Better than pouring it down the drain. DEF as a foliar inoculant really makes alfalfa grow. I cut it down to about 20% with water btw. Still smells like cat pee anyway.

Been doing that ever since DEF came on the scene. No point in spending 50 bucks plus per sack of 28 granulated when I can get expired DEF for just about nothing. I'm cheap.

I do put 28 granulated on the garden however. The timed release clay coated prils work real well for vegetables.

I'll admit I've tilled to wet in the past as well but don't take long for the tiller tines to get 'wadded up' and me putting it in the barn for another day.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #14  
I have seen dad use the tiller to push him through the garden. It was too wet to till that day.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #15  
IMHO with the dry on top and wet below by going slow would
think it would mix well and you would be ok with slow tilling

willy

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #16  
You’ll definitely know if it’s too wet.
Trust me.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #17  
I stick a shovel in the ground and pull out a shovel full and check the bottom dirt for moisture. If the dirt 5 inches down packs into a tight mud ball when you squeeze it, its too wet. If is stick together but it crumbles a part easily, it is tillable. Always works.
^^This.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #18  
I never put grass clippings in the garden because the clippings rob the N from the soil and they stink too. When my wife raised draft horses, I used to use the manure in the garden and then spent the entire growing season pulling weeds. Don't do that anymore. I'll first till it and then broadcast 28 granulated urea and then till it again, let it sit for a week and plant it. This year I'm planting roundup ready sweet corn so any weeds that come up, the roundup will handle. Cou8ple weeks and I'll be spraying my hayfields with DEF. I buy it on sale when expired for cheap and spray it on my alfalfa fields. Just bought a full 350 gallon IBC tote of expired DEf for 100 bucks. Better than pouring it down the drain. DEF as a foliar inoculant really makes alfalfa grow. I cut it down to about 20% with water btw. Still smells like cat pee anyway.

Been doing that ever since DEF came on the scene. No point in spending 50 bucks plus per sack of 28 granulated when I can get expired DEF for just about nothing. I'm cheap.

I do put 28 granulated on the garden however. The timed release clay coated prils work real well for vegetables.

I'll admit I've tilled to wet in the past as well but don't take long for the tiller tines to get 'wadded up' and me putting it in the barn for another day.
How do grass clippings rob nitrogen? This is what I've read.

Fresh grass clippings include about 4 percent nitrogen. This means that in any given year, grass clippings leftover from mowing the lawn can account for almost 2 pounds of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn.

Can You Mix Grass Clippings Into Soil?

Adding grass clippings to your garden can be a great way to improve the health of your plants and soil. Grass clippings are high in nitrogen, which is essential for plant growth. By adding them to your garden, you will also reduce the need for fertilizer or pesticides.

Remember to water the lawn first before adding the grass clippings – this will ensure they don’t become wet and muddy when mixed with soil. Mixing grass clippings into your soil is a great way to add nutrients and help improve the soil’s texture and moisture retention. If you’re looking to get creative with your garden, adding grass clippings is a great way to do it!

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #19  
Wood mulch, chips, sawdust will all rob N from the soil as well.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #20  

What is the roundup ready corn you are planting?