What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet?

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
I have soil that is about 60% sand, 20% clay, 20% silt. The soil is mostly dry on top, but 3-5" down damp...

If I start tilling it, how will I know if is too damp? If you say something like 'it clods up', can you give an idea of the size of the clods when I should call off the tilling?

Thanks!

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #3  
Just gas it and go,we will never know the difference.
Your experience tilling your soil at various moisture levels is worth more than our wags when we have no hands on experience with it.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet?
When it wads up on the tines... It's too wet.
Thanks - can you describe what you'd call wadding up? Is this just a slight build up on the tines, or big clods starting to connect the tines?

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #5  
I’ve roto tilled dirt with water running across it. It drys faster that way. But you’ll have to do it again when it is dry because it locks together hard when you till it wet.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #6  
My experience. After tilling the soil should be loose, fluffy, very soft. I've tilled when it was too wet. Just had to wait until it dried and till again. My soil type - lots of organics - silt - volcanic ash.

When its too wet - the soil does not break apart into loose material. The tines will form clods. My clods would not attach to the tines but just lie there on the surface. The entire soil structure can turn to clods.

You are going to have to do some tilling - to see what you get.

Last edited:
   / What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #7  
If tractor tires become mired in mud it's to wet. If you can't see the tiller for dust it's too dry. Finding ambient temperature and wind direction just right can be more allusive.

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #8  
IMG_6873.jpeg

sorry…had to do it

/ What are the signs of rototilling when it's too wet? #9  
I stick a shovel in the ground and pull out a shovel full and check the bottom dirt for moisture. If the dirt 5 inches down packs into a tight mud ball when you squeeze it, its too wet. If is stick together but it crumbles a part easily, it is tillable. Always works.

As has been said though, if you till it too wet you can hit it again later. If you till it too wet and you know it is too wet, do not plant anything in it until you have tilled it after it dries out. If you don't till it again nothing will come up because it will create a hard crust after it dries.