What am i missing?

/ What am i missing? #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
It seems a lot of people living in rural areas have lawns, not just a little near the house, but large expanses of closely groomed lawns. I guess I don't understand the attraction. I lean more toward trees or at least some native plants or grasses that need less frequent maintenance.

So tell me, why do you have a big lawn?

/ What am i missing? #2  
It seems a lot of people living in rural areas have lawns, not just a little near the house, but large expanses of closely groomed lawns. I guess I don't understand the attraction. I lean more toward trees or at least some native plants or grasses that need less frequent maintenance.

I've lived on two decent size properties, my current kind of precludes a big lawn, but if I could I would have one for a couple of reasons.

Keeps the critters (snakes, skunks, rodents) away better than most anything else, makes it much easier to manage bugs as well.

It looks nicer to me, and mowing is about the lowest form of maintenance, I feel like I spend more time trying to keep trees and rock "stuff" in order than I do just mowing grass.

Best,

ed

/ What am i missing? #3  
With 8+ Months of the white stuff on the ground,we crave green and the more the merrier. The Wife and I both find mowing therapeutic and relaxing.

/ What am i missing? #4  
We have all told about 2 acres of lawn around the house and out buildings...Like dirttoys said.. keeps the wild critters away and the dog close. But we do have about 15 acres of pastures plus 10 acres of hay field around the lawn & house. That's for horses to gnaw on or feed through the Winter. Tractors and large mowers are required for maintaining the land. Otherwise weeds, brush, and trees will take over.

/ What am i missing?
Thanks. I get the pasture or hay field thing. I'll get plenty of mowing therapy doing brush work. Bigger critters will have to deal with the dogs and/or the guns. Small critters we will have to keep at about a 10 ft radius.

/ What am i missing? #7  
and besides that... mowing gives old retired farts something to do.
Heard that, but that is only half, we also get to work on the mowers nearly every time I use one............:)

Best,

ed

/ What am i missing? #8  

I used to have one of those big lawns you mention when I lived out by Willard, Mo. About 7 acres I kept it well mowed and it looked like a park. Had a place to shoot pistol on one end with a good backstop and the same place served as a party place with hand made brick BBQ grill. This was under some large shade trees. But the big open area was my shotgun field. When we had people over we often shot clays. The barn was built on a large berm and the clays flew out nicely from there out onto the "lawn".

We had a lot of fun. Other times we held company picnics for the two companies the the wife and I worked for. It was much appreciated by the partygoers. Lots of games were played out there on our lawn. So that is why we transformed it from a bramble strewn Area hard to walk on to a park. We and a lot of other people that we invited over enjoyed the park.

We don't have anything like that now here in Branson of course. But we are old now and retired, and we don't have parties. I miss the great shooting ranges and the clay field.

/ What am i missing? #9  
With 8+ Months of the white stuff on the ground,we crave green and the more the merrier. The Wife and I both find mowing therapeutic and relaxing.
Yes, we don't have the snow, but back in the day, the wife and I both enjoyed mowing after work.