What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup?

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #11  
Kind of a related story - When I was a kid my mom bought a brand new 1976 Dodge Charger SE. The name plate on the interior door trim said Cordoba.

Also kind of related. When I was either 29 or 30 :))), my Mom bought a 1976 or 1977 Dodge Aspen. I can't remember the details, but some item on the car said "(Plymouth) Volare."

Back in those days, none of the Big Three stressed quality control.

Steve

Last edited:
   / What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #12  
As others above have said, for the past 20+ years Chevy and GMC have been twins. But not so in 2019 models! There are current comparisons of the two online now which depicts the 2019 GMC ti clearly be an upscale model, with price reflecting as such. I suppose it comes down to whether you'd prefer beer or champagne?

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #13  
As a retired General Motors retiree I can tell you that GMC and Buick pay for specialized handling of their parts and the quality control is higher on both(you pay for it).They are/may be built on the same lines as other models but there is a difference.
I have purchased 20+new Chevrolet trucks,one GMC and never owned a Buick!

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #14  
Having owned numerous GMC's and Chevy's over the years I'd say that the GMC's are slightly more comfortable and have some additional creature comforts and bling. Other than that either one performed great for me regardless of vintage. My personal favorites were the GMC 6.2's I've had. That is a killer drivetrain. Have a 5.3 now but have the 6.2 in our Escalade and I love driving that thing.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #15  
As the Parts Manager at a dealership that sells both for the past 20 years I believe the most accurate statement I have seen is;

Since most GMC model lines are built on the same assembly lines as Chevrolet pickups and SUVs, the differences between the vehicles are limited. Today, much of uniqueness is found primarily in cosmetic packages: options and trim levels. The trim and materials used for internal design give customers pause trying to decide which vehicle to buy. Typically, a GMC truck's base level is about the same as a Chevy midlevel trim. A stock top-level GMC typically has more luxury amenities than the top-trim Chevy truck.

I would hate to say for sure, but I'm wiling to bet current model years share somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of their parts. That is 100% personal experience, I don't have any real data to back it up.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #16  
My next truck will be a GMC 2500/3500 or F-250/350. I've driven both in 2018 model years. I love the looks of the GMC and Ford. I also drove the 2018 Chevy which is very similar to the GMC of course, but the fit/finish on the GMC is more appealing to my eye (grille, cosmetics, etc).

The GMC rides more smoothly/comfortably than the other two, almost as if you're in a car. The Chevy is also smoother riding than the Ford in my opinion. The Ford feels and rides like a heavy truck. The Ford has a nicer interior/layout, but I have a Ford currently so it may just be that it is more familiar to me than the Chevy or GMC. I like them all better than the Dodge, but that's just cosmetic really and personal opinion. Yes, I drove the Rams too. All 2018 diesels. If I had the cash today, I'd really stress over whether I want the GMC or the Ford.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #17  
I stood on the line and watched them build both brands, right from the beginning where the frame rail was put on the line, until they drove the truck away!

They come down the line in any order with the same people working on both... One would get parts from the basket on the left (like a grill) and the other got parts from the basket on the right, the line just kept crawling along...

Both were on the line at the exact same of time, built by the same people... How can one be a better, longer lasting truck???

Yes, one brand may have a different trim level, but every truck that came down the line got what ever motor/tranny/trim/parts that was on the "build sheet" that every truck had with it......

SR

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup?
nybirdman, I had a 1997 Buick LeSabre. Let me just say, that was the nicest, most comfortable dxxx car I ever had. It was like going down the road on a couch. It screamed as well, with the 3800 V-6.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #19  
I was always told GMC used lock washers , Chevy didn't. And to be fair . I Have owned Chevys all my Life and currently drive a GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 SLE

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #20  
I was always told GMC used lock washers , Chevy didn't. And to be fair . I Have owned Chevys all my Life and currently drive a GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 SLE

Well does the GMC use lock washers ?

I don't think I'd tell too many people that. Sounds silly.