What a Haying Season!

/ What a Haying Season! #21  
I thought hay prices were going to go stupid, but with this latest rain. I think we will get a good cutting. Hoping for some rain that is predictable so I can get some fertilizer down.

D.

/ What a Haying Season! #22  
After what seems like 2 months, SOME RAIN!!!

/ What a Haying Season! #23  
We just got SECOND CUT HAY IN off the fields we got 1st cut back on the 04JUL08 weekend!!...D

/ What a Haying Season! #24  
we just finished up our second cut as well, all the rain we had in july/aug helped out we got a good yield on 2nd cut. hoping to possibly get a 3rd cut in late sept/early oct if it grows well.

/ What a Haying Season! #25  
I was getting worried earlier this summer. I don't cut it, just a buyer. Looks like I'll be able to get the last 200 bales I need to last through to late spring 09. Without paying more than $4.50 a bale.:)

/ What a Haying Season! #26  
It had rained for 6 weeks straight with no end in sight, so I took a couple weeks for some work out of town. Of course the weather turned around and was great while I was away.

Looks like there will be a bit more good weather this week, cross my fingers.

/ What a Haying Season! #27  
I just made my 4th cut on our giant Bermuda field. This one was our biggest ever. I am waiting to bale till tonight but I'm almost positive well get 500 bales off the 7 acres. 6 inches of rain this month really helped. I am irrigated but It's running round the clock to put that much out in a week like mother nature did.

I am confident we will get a 5th cutting and already bought the fertilizer for it. I'm hoping for a 6th cutting on it too. The next two will be to get my own animals through the winter. Most of my friends are thinking early freeze but I'm hoping it stays warm.

/ What a Haying Season! #28  
WOW a 4th cut...that would be great this year for us. I am in SW Ontario...rain to much at the start of the season so 1st cut was crappy and late coming off....2 nd cut just got off last week, and it looks really good
only a few ppl around here that I have talked to managed to get a 3rd cut

/ What a Haying Season! #29  
Whoa... 4th, 5th maybe a 6th cutting before freeze-up!?! We FINALLY managed to get some 1st cutting bales in the barn last weekend (8-30) and there are a number of hay fields in the area that are still uncut!

They'll have to cut it and bale it green just to get it off the field before freeze-up (can't leave it to lay down and have the snow pile up -bad winter kill). Feed what you can before it goes to mold and then burn or bury what's left over.

Ended up with alot poorer quality hay this year than the past 4 years. Got some that were streaked with black, some that were just brown and some that were pale white green from three different fields.

Oh well, we'll just "mix 'em up" a bit and maybe the horses won't waste too much.

AKfish

/ What a Haying Season! #30  
We got 8" of rain . . . today.:eek: