Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had?

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
So I'm started wondering about making a list of universal tractor features that all tractors could use as original equipment.

How about it, TBNers? Have you added some favorite feature to your tractor? The kinds of thing that would be OEM if the people designing tractors had ever actually used a tractor themselves?

Things like a REAL TOOLBOX along and some place to store chains & ropes. Maybe even a way to carry a shovel, prybar, and saw.
AFAIK, there hasn't been a tractor made with those basic items in the last 50+ years.

What about a simple electrical outlet to use tractor battery power for other things? Like jumping a vehicle with a flat battery....

How about going full hog and adding an air compressor or water pump as standard equipment?
Those are pretty simple to do, and either one would be handy. Nice selling points, too.

What would you like to see as OEM on every tractor? Maybe we can get the manufacturers to listen.

rS

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #2  
Let's start with the basics, how about a cup holder.

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #3  
Mine has a cup holder - I was thinking - - electrically refrigerated cup holder. Hot pop goes flat fast. Ice cubes only last until you arrive at the designated work area - then, hot and flat.Mine has a 12 volt outlet. How about an inverter big enough to run a 15 amp power tool when the tractor is running.What about optional skid plates to cover critical areas.What about steel belted tires that provide added protection to puncture from thorns - as an option.What about REAL grill protection as an option.Air ride seats on open station tractors - as an option.

NO - I'm very happy with my M6040. There are just some changes that could be made and I would not need my ten ton farm wagon every time I go out and about on a project on my property. Maybe I wouldn't look like a pot and pan salesman any longer.

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #4  
Heck, I'd be happy if my old 1958 Ford had power steering. Although that was an option back then, I guess the original owner was man enough to be happy with Armstrong steering.

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #5  
Real toolbox - yes!
Good reference documentation free online - yes!
Headlights not obscured by loader frame in typical carry/transport position - yes!

As far as the carry provisions - I wouldn't necessarily want those as standard options. A generic saw holder, chain rack etc...that might not fit MY particular one so would be working around it. however - good provision for adding exactly what you want (weld studs on ROPS, 3/8" pem nuts and a flat on fenders, screw caps for the horizontal loader tube, etc) would be nice.

A lot of the other things like onboard air compressor, water pump, 110V AC outlet, etc, while would be real nice to have at times, some things many wouldn't care to have or ever had need for. So I'd rather it be optional in the end. Already too much of accy's bundled in many cases. "oh, you want this one feature? upgrade to XX model". Was an issue with Ford trucks for a long time (maybe still since mine is 7 y/o now) - you want want little thing but have to get whole lariat package and pay for a bunch of things you don't want for the one thing you do. Anyway, I'd rather the out the door price be $$$ lower than have an onboard air compressor or 110V AC outlet that may or may not provide enough airflow/amps to run what I need anyway.

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #6  
They could start by not putting oil filters and wiring where it can be snagged on brush. If they REALLY wanted to make us happy how about adding some skid plates to protect important areas.

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #7  
There is another thread going which asks a similar question. A lot of what some consider necessary someone else might think is an unnecessary expense, which is why a lot of things are options. To me a loader is a necessary item, and when I broke mine it was like cutting the thumbs off both of my hands. Somebody else might not need or want one, so that it would be unnecessary weight and a $4000 lawn ornament.

One Kubota dealer downstate includes a rear worklight, block heater, and fluids and filters for the first service as standard equipment. Most likely these are things which they've found most customers want. Many people here feel that loaded tires are a necessity, while many dealers will load the rear tires at their cost; they feel it is important for safety reasons. Yet I have never run a tractor with loaded tires and until I bought this tractor I never felt that it was needed. I would NOT be happy if I wasn't given that choice.

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #8  
Exports,Toolbox.

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #9  
I will play.... These are the items I have added that I think should be standard because everyone needs them.
Came from my dealer with filled tires
Chain hooks on FEL
ROPs light set with forward and rear LED work lights.
2X on the real tool box
Right side fender handle (cheap Kubota, although I do have a cup holder:laughing:)

/ Wha Extras Do You Wish Your Tractor Had? #10  
Adjustable track width front and rear.