We've had enough of television programming.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #61  
We tried both direct and dish, switching back and forth over the years. Wasted lots of money when there was only about 5 channels we wanted to watch out of hundreds. Got wise and cut the cable totally back in 2019. Dumped netflix also.

Now we watch SlingTV and Hulu for 1/4 of the cost we were paying. Ended up with all the channels plus some more that we wanted. Will never be going back to satellite or cable.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #62  
With COVID we have more TV time than B4.
Only saving grace is PVR as now days 2/3 air time is commercials. (love fast fwd)

BUT, recently the TV screen is looking more like my computer screen with pop up adds everywhere.
To think that at one time CNN was commercial free during newscasts.
Heck even weather reports now have commercial content.

I still have my TV antenna but since digital broadcasting we've lost most stations due to distance and RF propagation.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #63  
I replaced an older Roku box recently with a newer model (Ultra LT) that also controls the TV’s power and volume. I’m very pleased. No more juggling remotes to mute. The quality of the picture seems to have improved too. (blacker blacks).
I have the Roku ultra myself...never bothered to install wi-fi, and it was the only one that had ethernet capabilities. I haven't noticed any difference in picture quality from the old cable company box, but like the additional available streaming channels (though to be fair, most of the programming on the free channels is free for a reason!).
The Roku will control the volume on the tv itself, but not the line out jacks which I use to drive an amplifier, so we still have 4 remotes (tv, Roku, amplifier & DVD player).

/ We've had enough of television programming. #64  
Haven't had cable for quite a few years now and don't miss it. We got Amazon prime early on for the 2 day shipping and now use these streaming side too. Dropped Netflix 6 months ago as it turned to mostly crap and recently picked up the higher tier of Discovery Plus....hate commercials love the shows they have. Last time I was at my son's house I realized his newer Roku was way faster than our really old one so I ordered the Roku Premiere for $30 which made a huge difference. Thought about the Ultra but couldn't justify the cost. I have a digital antenna that I mainly got to watch a couple sports finals here and there but I have yet to put it up. Phone is on Vonage, have had them for 10 years maybe. Cell is a bit fuzzy in my area and just not as comfy as a regular house phone.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #65  
I realized his newer Roku was way faster than our really old one so I ordered the Roku Premiere for $30 which made a huge difference. Thought about the Ultra but couldn't justify the cost. I have a digital antenna that I mainly got to watch a couple sports finals here and there but I have yet to put it up. Phone is on Vonage, have had them for 10 years maybe. Cell is a bit fuzzy in my area and just not as comfy as a regular house phone.
How well does Vonage (or other VOIP systems) work? In theory it should be as good as any other landline since they're all digital these days anyway but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Haven't bothered with a cellphone...they're expensive, service is iffy here, and I really have no need/desire to be "connected" anywhere I go.

What's the difference between the different models of Rokus (other than the cheaper ones are wi-fi only)?

/ We've had enough of television programming. #66  
My TV hasn't been turned on in over 6 years. Not sure why I still have it other than nobody would buy a six year old TV these days.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #67  
I have the Roku ultra myself...never bothered to install wi-fi, and it was the only one that had ethernet capabilities. I haven't noticed any difference in picture quality from the old cable company box, but like the additional available streaming channels (though to be fair, most of the programming on the free channels is free for a reason!).
The Roku will control the volume on the tv itself, but not the line out jacks which I use to drive an amplifier, so we still have 4 remotes (tv, Roku, amplifier & DVD player).
You might want to try letting the Roku remote learn to control your amp for power and volume. Downside is you lose the ability to turn the TV on & off with it.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #68  
What's the difference between the different models of Rokus (other than the cheaper ones are wi-fi only)?
Most of the lower priced ones don’t control TV on/off, volume & mute. They are HD not 4K if your TV supports it or you care. The Stick Plus model covers most bases for $40. I’m sure I’d have been happy with it. My Ultra LT (Light) version was $65 at Walmart.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #69  
I've been married 33 yrs and I've had cable for only 1 year.

I generally watch old shows on Netfix (using one of my son's 5 users) or read a book. Much cheaper.

All it takes is for me to stay in a hotel and see all the crap on TV to make realize that it's just not worth it.
Ditto here on all points. The last time I rented a place with satellite I was looking forward to watching a movie I had never seen, which is supposed to be an alltime classic. (I don't even remember what it was now.) In the first 15 minutes they had more commercials than movie- I started timing them. I shut the darned thing off and still haven't watched that movie... whatever it was.

/ We've had enough of television programming. #70  
How well does Vonage (or other VOIP systems) work? In theory it should be as good as any other landline since they're all digital these days anyway but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Haven't bothered with a cellphone...they're expensive, service is iffy here, and I really have no need/desire to be "connected" anywhere I go.

I can't tell the difference between the old school land line and Vonage. Vonage may be even better sound wise. Only issue is if the internet is down so is your phone but you can set it to forward if it is down. My internet goes down way more than Vonage, it's a rarity for the VOIP to be down. It can be set to e-mail any voicemails which I like.

As for the Roku, the Premiere does do 4k and has more memory than some of the lesser units plus the latest wifi electronics. The Ultra has voice remote, volume on the remote and an ethernet connection. It may also have bluetooth. The only thing I may have liked is the wired connection, the rest I don't care about. You can compare here: Roku